Actress Mariah Susairaj set free (Lead)July 2nd, 2011 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 2 (IANS) Kannada actress Mariah Monica Susairaj was released from jail here Saturday after being acquitted in the May 2008 killing of television executive Neeraj Grover.
Sporting a printed dress, Susairaj was quickly whisked into a waiting white Honda City car with tinted glasses. An unidentified person was accompanying her in the vehicle.
A police van escorted her outside the Byculla Jail compound, raising speculation over the ’special’ treatment meted out to Susairaj.
Though immediate confirmation was not available, Susairaj is expected to leave for Bangalore later in the day.
Susairaj was sentenced to three years in jail by a Mumbai court Friday for destroying evidence in the Grover murder case.
Her co-accused and fiance, ex-naval officer Emile Jerome Mathew was sentenced to 10 years jail term after the court found him ‘guilty of culpable homicide not amounting to murder’.
The verdict came as a major setback to the police and prosecution which had claimed to have a strong case against both the accused. They now plan to challenge the judgment in the Bombay High Court.
According to her lawyer, she was set free as she had already completed the sentence as an undertrial and after she deposited a fine of Rs.50,000 Friday in the court.
This, and another fine of Rs.100,000 slapped on Mathew, will be awarded as compensation to Grover’s family members.
Police had made elaborate arrangements for Susairaj’s release from the Byculla Jail shortly after 12 noon.
In one of the most gruesome crimes of passion, Mathew stabbed to death Grover after he found him naked in Susairaj’s bedroom early morning of May 7, 2008, at her apartment in Dheeraj Solitaire, in Malad suburb of north-west Mumbai.
Meanwhile, family members and friends of Grover flayed the ’special treatment’ accorded to Susairaj as she was set free.
- Jerome gets 10 years in jail, Susairaj three - Jul 01, 2011
- Ex-naval officer found guilty of TV executive's killing - Jun 30, 2011
- TV executive murder case convict refused bail - Dec 20, 2011
- Procession, candle-light vigil against Neeraj Grover judgement (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Actress Mariah Susairaj set free - Jul 02, 2011
- Justice not given to Grover family: Raza Murad - Jul 04, 2011
- Mathew turns against Maria, files plea against conviction - Jul 17, 2011
- Ex-navy man, starlet sentenced for TV executive's murder (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Protest in Mumbai over Neeraj Grover judgement - Jul 03, 2011
- Ex-navy man, actress jailed for killing TV executive (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Mariah can harm us, says Neeraj Grover's mother - Jul 02, 2011
- Grover killing: Maharashtra appeals for stringent punishment - Oct 05, 2011
- Filmmakers, TVs warned against hiring Mariah - Jul 04, 2011
- Letter campaign to seek 'justice' for Neeraj Grover - Jul 05, 2011
- Film on Neeraj Grover's murder psyches out actor - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: bombay high court, city car, crimes of passion, culpable homicide, destroying evidence, emile, fiance, grover, gruesome crimes, honda city, jail term, major setback, mathew, mumbai court, murder case, police van, rs 50, television executive, undertrial, unidentified person