Activists demand public audit for all government expenditureMarch 12th, 2011 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, March 12 (IANS) All government expenditure must be subject to a public audit and armed forces should not be exempt from scrutiny under the Right to Information (RTI) act, a resolution adopted at the third National Right to Information Convention said here Saturday.
The convention passed an 11 point ‘Shillong Declaration’ that called for the setting up of an anti-corruption body like the Lokpal which can ensure that corrupt officials exposed through RTI queries are punished.
The public audit is one of the most crucial resolutions, RTI activist Aruna Roy said.
“It is important, we are here to fight corruption… If the government can have social auditing in the case of NREGA (National Rural Employment Guarantee Act), then why not for all other programmes,” Roy said.
Another demand was the scrutiny of intelligence and security forces.
“Exemptions given under Section 24 (of RTI ACT) to security and intelligence agencies are irrational and contrary to national interest, and they need to be removed - not by amendment of the Act but by withdrawing the list of notified agencies,” the convention resolved.
The convention asked for the government to ensure the safety of RTI activists and users.
The ‘Shillong Declaration’ also resolved to ask the central government to set up a national RTI Council to monitor the implementation of the act.
Apart from activists, the three-day convention was also attended by prominent figures in bureaucracy, judiciary and media.
- Transparency law to free India from poverty, graft: Aruna Roy - Mar 10, 2011
- Efforts to dilute RTI must be resisted, says Aruna Roy - Oct 15, 2011
- RTI can check corruption: Experts - Oct 16, 2011
- PM calls for critical look at RTI, BJP objects - Oct 14, 2011
- Jan Lokpal impractical, undemocratic: Aruna Roy (Interview) - Aug 21, 2011
- Court notice to government on CBI exemption from RTI - Jul 06, 2011
- Independent system to shield whistleblowers sought - Oct 11, 2011
- Lokpal panel to hear CVC, Aruna Roy - Sep 22, 2011
- Court dismisses petition to include CBI under RTI - Sep 10, 2011
- Can't give details of illegal assets cases: CBI - Jun 19, 2011
- 'Social audit of development schemes necessary' - Feb 05, 2010
- Sonia urged to stop new n-plants, evolve energy policy - Aug 24, 2012
- CBI exempt from RTI for 'security' reasons - Aug 04, 2011
- Activists demand intelligence, para-military forces answer RTIs - May 27, 2012
- Activists demand strong Lokayukta in Meghalaya - Nov 07, 2011