Activists demand fresh study on Orissa thermal plantsSeptember 21st, 2011 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 21 (IANS) The Orissa government should conduct a fresh study on thermal power plants in the state, civil society groups said Wednesday, a day after the National Green Tribunal recommended in-depth research on the impact of radiation from a plant in Maharashtra.
The tribunal, the country’s top green panel, directed the ministry of environment and forests Tuesday to initiate a study on radiation from the coal-based thermal power plant at Koradi in Maharashtra.
“We urge upon the Orissa government to take a cue from this order and take immediate steps to get such impact studies done before going ahead with any ongoing thermal power plants in the state,” Water Initiatives Odisha (WIO) convenor Ranjan Panda told IANS.
Orissa is soon to produce 37,000 MW of thermal power. Besides, there are plans to generate 8,000 MW under central schemes, Panda added.
The state proposes to produce at least 58,000 MW in seven to eight years, said the convenor of WIO, a network of civil society groups in the state.
“We have written to the state government to take serious note of the recent judgment of the tribunal and take immediate action to assess the radiation and other impacts of thermal power plants already operating in the state,” he said.
“We also urge upon it to order all under construction thermal power plants to stop work before such impacts assessments are done and ask for fresh environment impact assessment studies and public hearings for these plants in line with the latest judgment,” he said.
- Green lobby wants Odisha projects' impact re-audited - Feb 13, 2012
- Orissa's energy plans to trigger water crisis: NGO - Mar 22, 2011
- Blame game over Himachal power plant ordered to be razed - May 20, 2012
- Action only after studying court judgment: Jaiprakash Associates - May 05, 2012
- Firm fined Rs.100 crore for violating environmental laws - May 04, 2012
- Himachal greens upbeat over 'environmental justice' - May 06, 2012
- Firm fined Rs.100 crore in Himachal, files review petition - Jun 01, 2012
- NGO opposes proposed water allocation plan - Apr 27, 2011
- 16-hour loadshedding for Maharashtra industries - Oct 11, 2011
- India inks deal with World Bank for power sector - Dec 17, 2009
- Alstom Bharat Forge bags Rs.1,570-crore NTPC contract - Apr 24, 2012
- 'New thermal power plants to escalate Vidarbha farm crisis' - Aug 08, 2012
- NTPC in talks with Bangladesh agency for power project land - Dec 22, 2010
- Nuclear plant in Maharashtra's Jaitapur cleared: says Ramesh (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Maharashtra slams poor quality coal supply to power plants - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: civil society groups, convenor, environment impact assessment, impact assessment studies, impact studies, koradi, ministry of environment, ministry of environment and forests, mw, orissa government, panda, public hearings, radiation, ranjan, state government, state water, thermal plants, thermal power plant, thermal power plants, water initiatives