Activists and journalists condemn Syed Kazmi’s arrestMarch 10th, 2012 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) A group of social activists and prominent journalists Saturday condemned the arrest of senior journalist Syed Mohammad Kazmi, saying that the Special Cell of Delhi Police had falsely implicated him in the terror attack on an Israeli diplomat’s wife last month based on reports provided by Israeli agencies.
Addressing a press conference, advocate N.D. Pancholi said the Special Cell was known for “fabricating evidence”.
“The Special Cell has a record of filing fabrications on the basis of frivolous documents. Most of the investigation conducted by the Special Cell of Delhi police was found to be false,” said Pancholi while demanding that the case be transferred to another probe agency for fair investigation.
They said Kazmi was made a scapegoat in the case to please an international lobby.
Showing concern over media reports that Israeli investigating agencies were coming here to interrogate Kazmi, the members condemned it and demanded that no foreign agency should be permitted to interrogate any Indian national.
Senior Journalist Saeed Naqvi called the arrest as a step to reduce the power of the press.
He said: “On the day of Kazmi’s arrest, the government was discussing about controlling the press.”
Senior journalist Seema Mustafa demanded immediate release of Kazmi, saying that his arrest was an attempt to interfere on the expression of views and public thinking.
“The cause of Kazmi’s arrest was his supporting views on Iran and his contribution in Syria recently,” she added
Kazmi’s son, Shauzab Kazmi reiterated that his father was innocent saying that he was a national hero, who had covered the Iraq War as a journalist.
The civil society members demanded that Kazmi be released on bail.
Accused Kazmi (52) was arrested by the Special Cell of Delhi Police Tuesday night. He is in police custody.
Kazmi, who hails from Meerut in Uttar Pradesh, is a resident of south Delhi’s B.K. Dutt colony near Jor Bagh area.
A post-graduate in Persian from Delhi University, Kazmi has worked as a freelance journalist with DD News. He has also worked as a news reader for a Tehran-based radio station and was recently working as a freelancer for Iranian news agency IRNA.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Israeli attack: Arrested journalist's son denies links to Iranians (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Israeli attack: Arrested journalist's son denies links to Iranians - Mar 09, 2012
- Protesters seek release of Israeli car blast accused - Mar 13, 2012
- Give details on interrogators in Israeli car blast: Court - Mar 17, 2012
- Give details on interrogators in Israeli car blast: Court (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Israeli diplomat attack: Indian 'journalist' nabbed (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Court reserves order on Kazmi petition - Mar 20, 2012
- Israel attack: Indian 'journalist' nabbed (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- India probing Iran's Quds Force link to attack on Israelis - Mar 08, 2012
- Delhi Police deny foreign agency quizzed Kazmi: Court (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Kazmi's petition disposed of - Mar 21, 2012
- Israeli car blast: Delhi Police team to quiz Bangkok blast suspect - Mar 21, 2012
- Muslims take to streets to demand journalist's release - Mar 24, 2012
- Apex court issues notice on Kazmi's bail plea - Sep 07, 2012
- Warrant issued against three in Israeli car blast case - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: advocate, delhi police, expression, immediate release, iraq war, israeli diplomat, journalist, journalists, meerut, mohammad, national hero, New Delhi, pancholi, police custody, scapegoat, social activists, society members, south delhi, terror attack, tuesday night