Activist moves court on top bureaucrats’ selection processSeptember 11th, 2008 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 11 (IANS) RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal Thursday approached the Delhi High Court against the central government for not giving details on the procedure for selection of bureaucrats for top posts. The Central Information Commission June 12 directed the department of personnel and training (DoPT) and the Cabinet Secretariat to disclose details pertaining to selection of officers for the post of secretaries and additional secretaries at the central government.
Colin Gonsalves, appearing for Kejriwal, submitted that he approached court as the central government had not complied with the CIC’s directions and the transparency panel had no power to punish for contempt of its order.
Justice G.S. Sistani asked the central government to inform the court Sep 23 of the reasons for not following CIC’s directions.
The three-member CIC bench had directed the government to reveal the grading of officers who are considered for posts of secretaries and additional secretaries.
The commission directed the DoPT and the Cabinet Secretariat to allow inspection of relevant files concerning empanelment of additional secretaries and secretaries to the government of India, the CIC had said.
Kejriwal, a Magsaysay Award winner, had sought disclosure of information, contending that it was in the larger public interest as the people had the right to know as to what was the grade assigned to an officer who has been empanelled.
- Notice to government on plea for appointments in RTI ambit - Mar 28, 2011
- Appointments of senior officials not under RTI: Court - Jul 30, 2010
- Coming soon, new faces at top of bureaucratic pyramid - May 15, 2011
- Government gets Delhi High Court contempt notice - May 09, 2012
- CAG Vinod Rai's service records and dossier missing - Aug 21, 2012
- Supreme Court strikes down appointment of CVC P.J. Thomas - Mar 03, 2011
- Is CIC empowered to prosecute for perjury? Court issues notice - Dec 23, 2011
- New chief information commissioner this week - Dec 21, 2009
- Hasten appointments in transparency panel: Court (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Why is Habibullah still chief CIC, ask RTI activists - Jan 14, 2010
- Sacked CVC Thomas to file review petition before Supreme Court - Mar 12, 2011
- Keep central record of ministers' air travel: CIC - Apr 01, 2011
- Reveal 'file notings' under RTI, demand activists - Feb 02, 2009
- No disclosure of names of donors to PM's relief fund: Court - Jul 06, 2012
- President cancels Thomas's appointment as CVC - Mar 15, 2011