Action against four Tihar officials for lapses (Lead)July 4th, 2011 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) Three Tihar Jail officials have been suspended and disciplinary action has been recommended against another for extending extra liberties to sacked Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi and murder convicts Vikas and Vishal Yadav, an official said Monday.
Sub-jail Superintendent S.C. Bhardwaj, against whom action has been recommended, is presently in Andaman and Nicobar Islands after he received his transfer order a month back, said Deputy Inspector General (Prisons) R.N. Sharma.
The action follows an investigation ordered by Sharma Saturday after a media report said Kalmadi was receiving special treatment in jail.
Sharma said: “There was a report Saturday that Kalmadi was found having a cup of tea and snacks with sub-jail four’s superintendent S.C. Bharadwaj. An inquiry was conducted and it was found that these things have happened. Kalmadi had admitted that he had a cup of tea but has denied having any kind of snacks with Bharadwaj.”
The inquiry report has been submitted to the Delhi government and ministry of home affairs as Bharadwaj is a Delhi, Andaman Nicobar Island Civil Service (DANICS) officer.
“The chief secretary of Delhi has already approved the proposal to take disciplinary action against Bharadwaj and now the proposal will be sent to the ministry of home affairs,” said Sharma.
Regarding Vikas Yadav, who was found strolling in the jail’s garden beyond the permitted time, Sharma said he was coming back to his cell after making a phone call at 12.10 p.m. along with a couple of other inmates.
“He was not the only person as there were 27 more people who had to make a call on that day. In the inquiry report, there is not much fault as far as he is concerned,” said Sharma.
About Vishal Yadav, who was found sitting in front of the cell gate during the closing hours - 12 noon to 3 p.m. - the officer said: “It was found that he was performing pooja at the temple. He could have done his pooja in the morning or in the afternoon, whenever the jail was open. So this kind of omission is not called for. The head warden Satvir has been suspended.”
The officer also said that Assistant Superintendent Jitender Pal, responsible for getting inmates lodged from ward no.1 to 6, was not found on duty at that point of time.
“He should have been inside the jail, supervising and ensuring that the cells were locked. He has been placed under suspension.
“Kishan Kumar, assistant superintendent, was also suspended for leaving all cells open in ward 15, where Kalmadi and others have been lodged,” Sharma said.
The irregularities in Tihar came to light Thursday when inspecting trial court judge Brijesh Kumar Garg visited sub-jail four.
In his report, Garg mentioned that he found Kalmadi enjoying a cup of tea and snacks in the office of of sub-jail four’s superintendent and Vishal and Vikas Yadav, who are serving life terms for the murder of Nitish Katara, were found strolling outside their cells beyond the permitted time.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- Action against three Tihar officials for irregularities - Jul 04, 2011
- Tihar jail to probe 'extra liberty' given to Kalmadi (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Tihar jail to probe 'extra liberty' given to Kalmadi - Jul 02, 2011
- Tihar a picnic spot for fraudsters: BJP - Jul 02, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Vikas Yadav gets one day's leave from jail (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Jailed Suresh Kalmadi to undergo brain scan - Jul 16, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- Diwali gift packs, with love from Tihar Jail - Oct 21, 2011
- Vikas Yadav allowed by court to attend brother's wedding - Apr 26, 2011
- Katara murder: Court sets up panel to probe convicts' hospital visits - Mar 23, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Youth murdered by ex-lover's father - Jan 26, 2012
- Vikas Yadav gets 2-hour parole to attend family function (Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, andaman nicobar island, bhardwaj, chief secretary, commonwealth games, convicts, cup of tea, delhi government, deputy inspector general, disciplinary action, inquiry report, jail officials, lapses, ministry of home affairs, organising committee, suresh kalmadi, tihar, vikas, vishal