Ackerman, PM discuss progress of n-dealJuly 4th, 2008 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) US Congressman Gary Ackerman met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday and underscored the need to put the stalled civilian nuclear deal on fast track so that it is endorsed by US Congress before September. Ackerman, Democratic co-chair of the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans, met Manmohan Singh at his 7 Race Course residence and discussed India-US relations, including the controversial nuclear deal.
Manmohan Singh told Ackerman about his government’s efforts to mobilise a political consensus to push the deal forward but did not indicate a timeline for concluding the safeguards pact with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), official sources said.
Ackerman conveyed to the prime minister imperatives of the Congressional calendar, saying the presidential elections in November will make it difficult for the US Congress to endorse the deal after September, the sources said.
Ackerman also brought up Iran’s nuclear ambitions. The prime minister reiterated New Delhi’s commitment to the Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline as well as the country’s multi-dimensional relations with Iran, the sources said.
The US Congress is likely to adjourn in September for the November presidential elections, Ackerman said Thursday after meeting Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon and also Shyam Saran, the Indian prime minister’s special envoy on the nuclear deal.
The Left parties have asked the Indian government to make it clear by Monday if it was seeking the approval of the IAEA’s board of governors for the India-specific safeguards agreement.
- Time running out, no n-deal after September: Ackerman - Jul 03, 2008
- India must complete nuclear deal by September: US Congressman - Jul 03, 2008
- Gary Ackerman, friend of India, calls it quits - Mar 16, 2012
- PM, Obama discuss Iran - Nov 18, 2011
- PM heads for Tehran NAM summit, meeting with Ahmadinejad - Aug 25, 2012
- PM heads to Tehran for NAM summit, Iran ties in focus (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Hispanic community important partner for India-US ties: Ambassador - Mar 22, 2012
- Ackerman to discuss n-deal, Iran during India visit - Jul 02, 2008
- Iran: EU seeks India's leverage, Manmohan backs diplomacy - Feb 10, 2012
- Global Centre for n-energy coming up near Delhi: PM - Mar 27, 2012
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Clinton meets PM - May 07, 2012
- Meira Kumar meets Iranian President Ahmadinejad - Nov 05, 2011
- Careful note taken of IAEA resolution on Iran, say official sources - Nov 27, 2009
- Iran to ask India for spurring tri-nation pipeline - Aug 27, 2012