Achuthanandan upset as subsidised rice scheme stoppedMarch 9th, 2011 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 9 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan Wednesday expressed his displeasure at the Election Commission stopping the scheme of giving rice at Rs.2 per kg to all ration card holders deeming it a violation of the Model Code of Conduct.
“May be some political parties have influenced the decision of the chief electoral officer here, so we have written to the Chief Election Commissioner. There should be no bias, because Railway Minister Mamata Bannerjee sanctioned travel concessions for girl students and in Tamil Nadu, tax breaks were given on oil products after the Model Code of Conduct came into force,” Achuthanandan told reporters.
The chief electoral officer had Tuesday asked the government to put the scheme on hold. The state goes to polls April 13.
The scheme to provide rice at subsidised rates was announced in the state budget.
“Earlier, this scheme was available to four million families and in our last budget we extended the scheme irrespective of the category. The order to this effect came out on Feb 25 and the model code of conduct became applicable only from the evening of March 1. So where is the violation,” Achuthanandan said.
“Why is Kerala being singled out,” he asked.
- Court allows sale of subsidised rice in poll-bound Kerala - Mar 21, 2011
- Court seeks explanation on rice scheme stoppage - Mar 16, 2011
- Election Commission bans two rupees per Kilogram rice scheme in Kerala - Mar 08, 2011
- 'Rice politics' becomes major poll issue in Kerala - Mar 11, 2011
- Apex court upholds poll panel stay on Kerala's rice scheme - Mar 30, 2011
- Court sets aside EC order on rice scheme in poll-bound Kerala - Mar 21, 2011
- Congress in poll mode in Kerala, plays 'rice' politics - Mar 25, 2011
- Kerala expected more from rail budget: Chandy - Mar 14, 2012
- EC has no power to ban subsidized rice scheme, rules Kerala High Court - Mar 16, 2011
- Poll panel blocks 400 government jobs in Goa - Jan 05, 2012
- Now Andhra to give rice at Re.1 a kg to its poor - Sep 21, 2011
- Bengal official assures poll panel on model code - Mar 18, 2011
- Stop distribution of TV sets: EC tells Karunanidhi Govt. - Mar 02, 2011
- Kerala EC wants photo-ID cards for local polls too - May 14, 2012
- Will push for electoral reforms, says Sampath - Jun 11, 2012