Achuthanandan to launch welfare fund for diaspora in DubaiJanuary 15th, 2009 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 15 (IANS) Kerala chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan Thursday announced that he would travel to Dubai February end to inaugurate the collection to a welfare fund being set up for the diaspora. This fund is being set up as part of the Pravasi Kerala Welfare Bill, 2008 that was passed by the state legislature last year.
The chief minister was speaking after a meeting of the board of directors of the state government agency that looks after the programmes of the nearly two million people from the state settled abroad.
Incidentally this would be Achuthanandan’s maiden trip abroad after becoming the chief minister in May 2006.
“The exact dates are being worked out but will be in Dubai in the third week of February to inaugurate the collection of the contribution from Keralites there,” said Achuthanandan.
Speaking to IANS, Roots-Norka board member Manjalamkuzhi Ali said that this sort of fund is being set up for the first time in the country by any state government.
“All those who wish to join the scheme can contribute Rs.300 every month and the state government will right now contribute two percent,” said Ali.
This scheme is also open to Keralites settled outside the state but within the country and also for the nearly one million those who worked abroad and has since returned. For them the contribution is fixed at Rs. 100 every month.
“The fund will be used to pay out monthly pensions and the minimum term that any person should contribute is five years. The pension would be operational once the contributor gets to the age of 60. In the case of death, the contribution will cease and the family would be eligible for a monthly pension,” said Ali.
- Kerala budgets didn't do justice to NRIs, says Issac (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Kerala campaign to promote diaspora welfare fund - Feb 06, 2010
- Kerala plans heritage village for diaspora - Jul 13, 2010
- New scheme for unemployed Non-Resident Keralites soon - Feb 24, 2010
- Issac terms budget development-oriented, opposition says mockery (Roundup) - Feb 10, 2011
- Welfare scheme for jobless Non-Resident Keralites - Jun 24, 2011
- After UAE, Saudi Arabia mulls consulate in Kerala - Oct 11, 2011
- Kerala to float NRK bonds for development projects - Jun 20, 2012
- Italy behind Italians, what about jailed Keralites abroad? (Kerala Newsletter) - Mar 31, 2012
- Centre should chip in to help diaspora: Achuthanandan - Jun 12, 2009
- Chandy blames Air India for high fares to Middle East - Oct 03, 2011
- Kerala mulls new bank and university for NRKs - Dec 30, 2011
- Sops for diaspora in Kerala budget - Jul 08, 2011
- Kerala approves welfare bill for NRKs - Mar 18, 2008
- First phase of Smart City Kochi project to be commissioned soon - Jun 23, 2011