Achuthanandan refuses to join Vijayan’s rallyFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Feb 2 (IANS) Differences within the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), the main party in Kerala’s ruling Left Democratic Front, surfaced once again when Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan Monday said he would not participate in a statewide march led by fellow Marxist leader Pinarayi Vijayan. “No, No, I have said what I have to say to the party leadership and I don’t have to share that with the media,” Achuthanandan said here when reporters repeatedly asked him if he would take part in the march.
Vijayan, state secretary of the CPI-M and an arch rival of Achuthanandan, is an accused in a case of irregularities in awarding a contract to Canadian firm SNC Lavalin when he was the state’s power minister.
The Kerala High Court Monday asked Vijayan and three other accused to reply to a petition seeking their prosecution.
While Achuthanandan’s stance threw the party into confusion, CPI-M politburo member S. Ramachandran Pillai flagged off the march from Udma in Kasargode district.
The Nava Kerala Yathra, sanctioned by the central committee of the party in December, will cover the 140 assembly constituencies in the state and conclude with a massive rally in the state capital Feb 25.
- Achuthanandan's absence in party march is immaterial: Vijayan - Feb 03, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- Achuthanandan not in politburo, Buddhadeb in - Apr 09, 2012
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- CPI-M leader injured in collision - Aug 18, 2011
- Vijayan issue niggles Kerala's Left as it readies for march - Feb 01, 2009
- Achuthanandan visits home of murdered Marxist - Jun 02, 2012
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- Vijayan to attend crucial CPI-M politburo meeting - Feb 05, 2009
- Achuthanandan will remain opposition leader: CPI-M - Feb 10, 2012
- Achuthanandan offers to quit over land scam, party says no - Jan 13, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- CPI-M politburo meet hopes to clear Kerala mess - Jul 01, 2009
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- CPI-M Kerala unit to meet to map its future - Feb 06, 2012