Achuthanandan ordered Lok Ayukta probe to protect son: ChandyJuly 15th, 2011 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 15 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Friday said his predecessor V.S. Achuthanandan ordered a probe by the Lok Ayukta into the 11 allegations against his son just to protect him.
“This has come true today (Friday) after the Lok Ayukta dismissed the petition filed by Achuthanandan’s son requesting to go ahead with the probe against him by Lok Ayukta and not by the vigilance department as directed by our government,” said Chandy, in a press release here.
The Chandy government last month ordered a vigilance probe against Achuthanandan’s only son V.A. Arunkumar on 11 specific cases which Chandy, the then leader of opposition, had raised.
This is the second setback for Achuthanandan and his son after the Kerala High Court dismissed a petition filed by Arunkumar seeking an interim order to stop the vigilance probe against him.
Arunkumar then moved the Lok Ayukta, contending that once a Lok Ayukta probe is announced, then a vigilance probe cannot be ordered.
Chandy’s 11 allegations include Arunkumar taking a Rs.7 lakh bribe from the sandalwood mafia in 2004, his role in scuttling a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe in the lottery scam besides corrupt deals Arunkumar was allegedly involved in when he was the managing director of a state-run organisation during the E.K. Nayanar government(1996-2001).
Among the other issues that will be probed are his numerous foreign trips and also how he managed to get membership in posh clubs.
- Petition of Achuthanandan's son against probe dismissed - Jun 23, 2011
- Lok Ayukta cannot probe Achuthanandan's son: Chandy - Apr 19, 2011
- Lok Ayukta to probe allegations against Achuthanandan's son - Mar 10, 2011
- Publish passport details of son, Chandy tells Achuthanandan - Mar 28, 2011
- More trouble for Achuthanandan's son - Oct 21, 2011
- Law takes its own course, Chandy to Achuthanandan - Jun 17, 2011
- Chandy writes to Achuthanandan on probe against son (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- I am being targeted,says Achuthanandan - Jun 10, 2011
- Achuthanandan's son faces suspension - Oct 26, 2011
- Kerala assembly ends session amid accusations of graft - Feb 24, 2011
- Opposition hurls more allegations at Achuthanandan's son - Feb 23, 2011
- Chandy writes to Achuthanandan demanding probe - Mar 02, 2011
- Congress moves court for CBI probe into Kerala lottery scam - Mar 01, 2011
- Achuthanandan worried due to son's case: Kunhalikutty - Sep 03, 2011
- Court dismisses plea to probe Chandy in palmoil scam - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: allegations, bribe, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, e k nayanar, kerala high court, lakh, leader of opposition, lok ayukta, lottery scam, mafia, managing director, nayanar government, predecessor, sandalwood, setback, thiruvananthapuram, v s achuthanandan, vigilance