Access to Cyclone Nargis zone improving: German officialMay 25th, 2008 - 5:25 am ICT by admin
Berlin, May 25 (DPA) Access to victims of Cyclone Nargis has been improving since Myanmar’s rulers agreed to let foreign relief workers into the disaster area, a senior German official said here Saturday. Germany’s Deputy Foreign Minister Gernot Erler said the first tests of the new policy had been positive in outcome, but it would be a long path before there was complete freedom of movement.
He was speaking in Berlin before departing for a donors’ conference in Yangon. His German Air Force plane was also loaded with eight tonnes of relief goods. Erler said he would obtain on-the-spot information about the way relief groups were able to work.
Germany has so far pledged 4 million euros ($6.3 million) to the relief effort. The donors’ conference has been summoned by the United Nations and the Association of South-East Asian Nations (Asean).