AC Milan win, Juventus heldMarch 4th, 2012 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, March 4 (IANS) AC Milan moved three points clear at the top of the Italian Serie A with a dominating 4-0 win at Palermo while Juventus were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Chievo.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who was suspended for three games, made an emphatic return Saturday as he scored a 14-minute hat-trick while central defender Thiago Silva added a fourth goal.
Milan head coach Massimiliano Allegri reckoned it as “a crucial victory, which allowed him to focus on his side’s Champions League campaign”.
“We put in a great performance today and the lads did so well right from the start. Ibrahimovic scored three wonderful goals,” he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“Winning in Palermo was important and I believe this can be a crucial victory. Robinho did very well, creating assists and working for the team,” he added.
Juventus stumbled in response to AC Milan’s win by being held to a 1-1 draw by Chievo.
Paolo De Ceglie put the Bianconeri in front in the 18th minute, but they failed to build on their lead and were punished when Boukary Drame levelled for Chievo in the 76th minute.
The draw leaves Juve three points behind Milan with a game in hand, one which must now be won if Antonio Conte’s side want to return to the Serie A summit next Wednesday.
Juventus manager Conte thought Juventus deserved to win, and warned fans they are “performing miracles” to be in the title race at all.
“The team has to grow, because there are much more organised sides than us right now. In the summer there was talk of this squad being good enough only for sixth place, so what we’re doing now is performing miracles,” he said.
- Juventus surpass Milan to top Serie A - Apr 08, 2012
- AC Milan routs Chievo 4-0 as Inter teeters to last-minute win - Nov 28, 2011
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- AC Milan held by Catania in Italian Serie A - Apr 01, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Nothing is decided yet, says Milan coach - Apr 23, 2012
- Milan-Juventus game may decide Serie A title, says Allegri - Feb 20, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Allegri hails crucial win for AC Milan - Apr 11, 2012
- Milan extend lead as Juve held in Serie A - Mar 12, 2012
- Juventus beat AC Milan in first leg of Coppa Italia semifinals - Feb 09, 2012
- AC Milan back to top with win over Cesena - Feb 20, 2012
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- Udinese top Serie A as Milan held by Bologna - Dec 12, 2011
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: ac milan, antonio conte, assists, bianconeri, central defender, champions league, emphatic return, hat trick, head coach, italian serie, juventus, lads, league campaign, palermo, paolo de ceglie, performing miracles, rome march, three games, xinhua, zlatan ibrahimovic