AC Milan routs Chievo 4-0 as Inter teeters to last-minute winNovember 28th, 2011 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Nov 28 (IANS) Defending champion AC Milan put on an inspiring performance to thrash Chievo 4-0 at home while Inter Milan struggled for a 1-0 win at Siena thanks to a last minute strike from substitute Luc Castaignos in the Italian Serie A football.
The contest at San Siro was indeed over before the break with the Rossoneri scoring four times in the opening period, Zlatan Ibrahimovic grabbing two of them with the second a penalty on the stroke of half-time, Xinhua reported.
Brazilian defender Thiago Silva opened AC Milan’s account in the eighth minute with Alexandre Pato also getting on the act.
Head coach Massimiliano Allegri praised his side’s performance, which pushed them to move within one point of the leaders Juventus.
“I was pleased with the attitude and pressure we immediately put Chievo under,” he said.
He singled out the striking duo Alexandre Pato and Zlatan Ibrahimovic for praise.
“Ibra’s talent needs no comment. It was important that Pato get back to scoring and had a good performance, but the really crucial thing to note is that they were both supported by a solid team that allowed nothing to their opponents,” he said.
Inter Milan looked to finally embark on their Serie A campaign after they beat Siena courtesy a late goal from Castaignos.
The goal arrived in the final minute when Castaignos’ right-foot finish from Motta’s assist earned them all three points.
Cagliari’s run without a win continued as they were held to a 1-1 draw by fellow strugglers Bologna at the Sant’ Elia stadium.
Palermo claimed their sixth home victory in a row to move up to fifth after beating Fiorentina 2-0.
Adrian Mutu struck twice in the second half as Cesena beat Genoa 2-0 for their first home triumph of the season.
- Injured Ibrahimovic ruled out of Barcelona clash - Sep 13, 2011
- Milan-Juventus game may decide Serie A title, says Allegri - Feb 20, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- AC Milan maintain Serie A lead with win over Atalanta - Jan 09, 2012
- Inter beat AC Milan in Serie A derby - Jan 16, 2012
- AC Milan win, Juventus held - Mar 04, 2012
- Juve win Serie A title after Milan loses in derby - May 07, 2012
- Allegri satisfied with draw against Napoli - Feb 06, 2012
- AC Milan back to top with win over Cesena - Feb 20, 2012
- AC Milan held by Catania in Italian Serie A - Apr 01, 2012
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
- Udinese top Serie A as Milan held by Bologna - Dec 12, 2011
- Milan beat hapless Parma 2-0 in Serie A - Mar 18, 2012
- Milan sure Ibra could play against Juve - Feb 06, 2012