ABVP, allies sweep Panjab University pollsSeptember 12th, 2008 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 12 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) youth wing Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and its allies Friday swept the Panjab University Campus Students’ Union (PUCSU) elections. ABVP, along with its allies Student Organisation of Panjab University (SOPU) and the Haryana Student Association (HSA), secured the top four posts of president, vice-president, general secretary and joint secretary in the Panjab University (PU) in the elections polling to which was held earlier Friday.
Sahil Nanda of University Institute of Engineering and Technology (UIET) department won the presidential post with 2718 votes.
Parul Chaudhary won the vice-president post with 2569 votes. She is a student of the Political Science department, PU.
Prashant Sharma from Law department, PU won the general secretary post with 2351 votes. The post of joint secretary went to Deepak Thakur, from the department of University Institute of Legal Studies (UILS). He secured 3090 votes.
Major groups contesting Panjab University Campus Students’ Union (PUCSU) elections were, Panjab University Students Union (PUSU), SOPU, ABVP, HSA, Indian National Student Organisation (INSO), Student organization of India (SOI) and National Student Union of India (NSUI).
This year no students’ organization was contesting the elections all by itself and all parties had formed alliances.
The major alliances are of SOPU-ABVP-HSA, INSO-SOI and PUSU-NSUI.
Around 9000 students study at the PU campus in Chandigarh that has spread over 550 acres in Sector 14 and Sector 25 in Chandigarh. The university has around 60 teaching and research departments and over 170 colleges are affiliated to it.
Panjab University is one of the oldest universities in India, being established in 1882 at Lahore. In 1956, PU was relocated at Chandigarh.
- Panjab University's students poll results out - Sep 03, 2010
- SOPU alliance sweeps Panjab University students poll (Lead, superseding earlier copy) - Sep 13, 2008
- Ahead of student polls, war zone at Panjab University - Sep 01, 2011
- Panjab University gears up to control campus violence - Jul 31, 2010
- Clean sweep by SOPU-INSO alliance in Panjab University polls - Sep 04, 2009
- Panjab University resembles fortress ahead of student polls - Sep 01, 2010
- Elaborate security for Panjab University student union polls - Sep 03, 2009
- Violence, crime and politics at Panjab University - Apr 15, 2010
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- Anna helps ABVP defeat NSUI in Delhi varsity polls - Sep 10, 2011
- DUSU polls end, results on Saturday (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Spend, splurge, woo for Panjab University polls - Aug 31, 2009
- Delhi University goes to poll Friday amidst tight security - Sep 02, 2010
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- SFI wins Himachal university polls - Aug 23, 2012