Abu Salem gets bail in extortion case (Lead)June 26th, 2012 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) A Delhi court Tuesday granted bail to extradited gangster Abu Salem in a 2002 extortion case. He would remain in judicial custody as he is facing trial in other cases.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav granted bail to Salem on a personal bond of Rs.1 lakh with a surety of same amount. He is currently lodged in Taloja Jail in Navi Mumbai.
“This is a matter of record that the conduct of the accused in judicial custody has remained above board and no complaint of any sort has been reported with regard to his conduct in jail by any authority,” the court said.
Magistrate Yadav allowed Salem’s application on the ground that other three accused involved in the case had already been released on bail.
“Considering the fact that accused has undergone more than half of the sentence, which could be imposed upon him in this matter, the public witnesses have already been examined, I deem a fit case for releasing this accused on bail,” said the court.
The court observed that Salem had undergone judicial custody of five years in this case and 13 witnesses had been examined.
Salem’s counsel M.S. Khan told the court that he should be granted bail as he had already spent over five years in jail even as the law provided for a maximum punishment of seven years for extortion.
The court was hearing a 2002 extortion case lodged by Puneet Khanna, a Delhi-based businessman of oil products.
Salem was arrested in this case July 22, 2007.
He was extradited from Portugal Nov 11, 2005, for his alleged involvement in eight cases, including this case. He has been granted bail in one more case.
- Abu Salem gets bail in extortion case - Jun 26, 2012
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Abu Salem's extradition, CBI to appeal - Sep 27, 2011
- Salem injuries self-inflicted, Dossa tells cops - Jul 28, 2010
- Abu Salem gets bail, but to remain in jail - May 11, 2011
- Court puts off Abu Salem case till Dec 20 - Nov 08, 2011
- GNLA chief's judicial custody extended by 14 days - Sep 07, 2012
- Court grants Romesh Sharma bail - Feb 02, 2010
- Portugal Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Court reserves order on dropping charges against Salem (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Verdict in Abu Salem passport case Nov 16 - Nov 01, 2010
- Abhishek Verma's wife denied bail - Aug 30, 2012
- Bangalore, Pune blasts accused murdered in jail (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- IUML worker's murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail - Aug 27, 2012
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Jailed murder accused 'untraceable' - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: businessman, delhi court, extortion, gangster, judicial custody, lakh, magistrate, maximum punishment, mumbai, New Delhi, oil products, personal bond, portugal, public witnesses, puneet, regard, rs 1, seven years, surety