Abhishek Verma, wife seek bailAugust 7th, 2012 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) Businessman Abhishek Verma and his Romanian wife Tuesday moved bail applications in a corruption case before a Delhi court, saying the CBI had failed to file the chargesheet against them within the stipulated 60 days.
Verma, also an accused in the 2006 naval war room leak case, and wife Anca Maria Neacsu were arrested June 8 for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms company to stall the blacklisting proceedings against it by the Indian government.
Advocate Vijay Aggarwal, appearing for the accused who are in judicial custody till Aug 8, informed the court that the stipulated 60-day period to file the chargesheet ended Tuesday.
He said their bail pleas should be heard Wednesday.
Special Judge Gurvinder Pal Singh listed the matter for hearing Wednesday before Special Judge Sanjeev Jain.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) earlier told the court that they would file the chargesheet Aug 7.
Special Judge Jain had extended the judicial custody of Verma and Neacsu till Aug 8.
Verma is also an accused in the 2006 war room case that was linked to leaking classified documents from the directorate of naval operations.
The CBI alleged that the couple received money from Rheinmetall Air Defence (RAD) to use their influence to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated against it.
They allegedly took $530,000 from RAD to stall the proceedings.
The CBI booked the couple under various provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act for allegedly giving bribe to public servants.
- Abhishek Verma, wife sent to jail till July 4 (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- CBI to file chargesheet against Abhishek Verma, wife Aug 7 - Aug 01, 2012
- Bail plea of Abhishek Verma's wife dismissed (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in CBI custody till June 21 (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Court gives CBI papers linked to Abhishek Verma's case - Jul 17, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail, arrested afresh - Aug 08, 2012
- Abhishek Verma fails to appear in court - Jul 21, 2012
- CBI to question Abhishek Verma, wife till Aug 21 - Aug 16, 2012
- Granted bail, Anca will still stay in jail - Aug 29, 2012
- Abhishek Verma calls fresh case politically motivated - Aug 09, 2012
- Abhishek Verma's wife denied bail - Aug 30, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in seven days CBI custody - Jun 09, 2012
- Abhishek Verma faces arrest for money laundering - Aug 21, 2012
- Verma, wife sent to judicial custody in OSA case - Sep 14, 2012
- Verma, wife sent to 10 days CBI custody - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: air defence, bail pleas, blacklisting, bribe, businessman, cbi, central bureau of investigation, corruption case, delhi court, indian government, judicial custody, naval operations, naval war, prevention of corruption act, public servants, sanjeev, special judge, swiss arms, vijay, war room