Abhishek Verma fails to appear in courtJuly 21st, 2012 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 21 (IANS) Businessman Abhishek Verma, an accused in the naval war room leak, Saturday failed to appear in a Delhi court for recording his evidence in a cheating and defamation case filed by him against his former partner based in the US.
Verma filed the case against his former partner and US-based lawyer C. Edmonds Allen and former Indian partner Arjun Arora.
Verma, along with his Romanian wife Anca Neacsu, is lodged in Tihar Jail in a separate graft case.
His counsel told the court that he would not be able to appear Saturday as he was to meet his wife in jail. The court would next hear the case Aug 13.
Metropolitan Magistrate Surya Malik Grover took cognizance of Verma’s private complaint June 4 and listed the matter for recording of evidence July 21.
Verma alleged that his former Indian partner Arjun Arora and US-based lawyer C. Edmonds Allen cheated him of nearly Rs.55 crore (over $9 million) around 2008.
The complainant claimed that he offered consultancy to the accused but they cheated him.
“The accused having malafide intention refused to make the said payment despite the fact that I was diligently providing consultancy services to them,” said Verma.
The businessman is also an accused in the 2006 war room leak case that was linked to leaking classified documents from the directorate of naval operations.
The Central Bureau of Investigation June 9 arrested Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Neacsu in a separate corruption case over which they are in judicial custody.
The probe agency allegedly that the two received money from a Swiss arms company Rheinmetall Air Defence (RAD) to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated against it by the Indian government.
- Bail plea of Abhishek Verma's wife dismissed (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in CBI custody till June 21 (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife sent to jail till July 4 (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Court accepts Naval War Room case accused's complaint - Jun 04, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife seek bail - Aug 07, 2012
- Court gives CBI papers linked to Abhishek Verma's case - Jul 17, 2012
- Verma, wife sent to judicial custody in OSA case - Sep 14, 2012
- Abhishek Verma's wife denied bail - Aug 30, 2012
- Verma, wife sent to 10 days CBI custody - Sep 04, 2012
- CBI to file chargesheet against Abhishek Verma, wife Aug 7 - Aug 01, 2012
- CBI to question Abhishek Verma, wife till Aug 21 - Aug 16, 2012
- Granted bail, Anca will still stay in jail - Aug 29, 2012
- Abhishek Verma calls fresh case politically motivated - Aug 09, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife in seven days CBI custody - Jun 09, 2012
- Verma, wife move release application in money laundering case - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: air defence, blacklisting, central bureau of investigation, cognizance, complainant, consultancy services, corruption case, crore, defamation case, delhi court, edmonds, graft case, indian government, indian partner, judicial custody, magistrate, naval operations, naval war, swiss arms, war room