Abhirath, Jehan dazzle in final round of Rotax KartingSeptember 3rd, 2011 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 3 (IANS) Bangalore schoolboy Abhirath Shetty (Meco Racing) authored one of the better scripts of the day with a stunning win over favourite and championship leader Kush Maini (Maini Racing) in the fifth and final round of the JK Tyre-FMSCI National Rotax Max Karting Championship here Saturday.
The 12-year old Abhirath, an eighth standard student of the BNM School, marked his presence in the Micro Max category with two podium finishes.
Abhirath was second behind 10-year old Kush, also from Bangalore, in the first pre-Final, but avenged the defeat in the second pre-Final that witnessed a very close contest among all the seven entrants.
Equally noteworthy was Mumbai schoolboy Jehan Daruvala?s performance in the Junior Max category where he won the first pre-Final pipping championship leader Arjun Maini (Maini Racing).
In the second pre-Final, Jehan of Rayo Racing spun when leading, dropped to sixth but eventually finished second behind Arjun after edging past Krishnaraj Mahadik (Mohite?s Racing) with a daring move on the inside at the last corner of the final lap.
?I was under pressure from Arjun and made a slight mistake, touched the tyre barrier and spun. Otherwise, I would have won the race. Thereafter, I put my head down as I was determined to finish in the top three,? said Jehan.
In the senior Max category, Chennai teenager Vishnu Prasad (Meco Racing) and Rayo Racing?s Ameya Bafna shared the honours by winning the pre-Final 2 and 1, respectively.
Bafna was trifle fortunate to win the first outing when Prasad, running a close second, retired with a mechanical problem. However, in the second pre-final, it was Prasad from start to finish as he took the lead while Bafna went into a tyre barrier in his anxiety to pass the Chennai lad.
It left Championship leader Chittesh Mandody (Mohite?s Racing) to hold off Raj Bharath (Meco Racing) in a tight finish.
Micro Max - Pre-Final 1 (12 laps): Kush Maini (Maini Racing) 1 (9mins, 25.644secs); Abhirath Shetty (Meco Racing) 2 (09:29.400); Mira Kirit Erda (Mohite?s Racing) 3 (09:29.775). Pre-Final 2 (12 laps): Abhirath Shetty (Meco Racing) 1 (09:29.867); Kush Maini (Maini Racing) 2 (09:30.120); Mira Kirit Erda (Mohite?s Racing) 3 (09:30.352).
Junior Max - Pre-Final 1 (18 laps): Jehan Daruvala (Rayo Racing) 1 (12:35.463); Arjun Maini (Maini Racing) 2 (12:35.916); Tarun Reddy (Meco Racing) 3 (12:42.765). Pre-Final 2 (18 laps): Arjun Maini (Maini Racing) 1 (12:35.639); Jehan Daruvala (Rayo Racing) 2 (12:45.303); Krishnaraj Mahadik (Mohite?s Racing) 3 (12:45.531).
Senior Max - Pre-Final 1 (20 laps): Ameya Bafna (Rayo Racing) 1 (14:00.419); Chittesh Mandody (Mohite?s Racing) 2 (14:09.966); Raj Bharath (Meco Racing) 3 (14:12.073). Pre-Final 2 (20 laps): Vishnu Prasad (Meco Racing) 1 (14:08.814); Chittesh Mandody (Mohite?s Racing) 2 (14:12.079); Raj Bharath (Meco Racing) 3 (14:12.760).
- Vishnu, Jehan win in National Rotax Max Karting - Aug 07, 2011
- Daruvala bags pole in fourth round of national karting - Aug 06, 2011
- Maiden win for Ameya Bafna in Rotax Karting - Jul 10, 2011
- Chittesh, Maini brothers emerge champs in National Rotax Karting - Sep 04, 2011
- Chittesh, Maini brothers dominate at Rotax Karting - Jul 09, 2011
- Danigod tops in Micro class - Aug 19, 2012
- Close contest likely in final round of Rotax Karting - Sep 02, 2011
- Double for Mohite's Racing - Aug 05, 2012
- 33 entries for National Rotax Karting Championship - Aug 05, 2011
- Karting Nationals: Parth tops among seniors - Aug 20, 2010
- Double for Team Maini Racing - Jul 22, 2012
- Parth tops among seniors in JK Tyre karting - Aug 22, 2010
- Motorsports: Saleem, Surya, Phaneesh top JK Tyre-MMS Rookie Cup - Apr 29, 2012
- Motorsports: Close win for Arya Gandhi - May 20, 2012
- Saran Vikram tops in Formula Rolon - Dec 19, 2010
Tags: ameya, anxiety, championship leader, daring move, final lap, fmsci, honours, jk tyre, karting championship, lad, laps, mechanical problem, podium, rotax max karting, schoolboy, scripts, seven entrants, slight mistake, teenager, tyre