Abhinav Bindra’s father to be produced in Delhi court Sunday (Third Lead)May 16th, 2009 - 12:16 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh/New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra’s father A.S. Bindra, arrested in Chandigarh Thursday for over Rs.90 million (Rs.9 crore) fraud, is to be produced in a Delhi court Sunday after police were granted his transit remand late Friday evening.
Judicial magistrate of Dera Bassi court, Rajpal Singh, arrived at the Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) in Chandigarh’s Sector 32 where the senior Bindra has been hospitalised, along with the public prosecutor and a team of Mohali police to record the statement of Bindra late Friday evening.
Bindra was hospitalized here after his arrest Thursday evening by Delhi Police. Dera Bassi town in Punjab is around 20 km from Chandigarh.
“The court has granted transit remand for Bindra till May 17 and he has to be produced in Delhi’s Patiala House Court Sunday before the expiry of transit remand,” H.S. Rakkar, public prosecutor, told IANS.
Meanwhile, Delhi Police Friday said they had a strong case against Bindra.
Sleuths of the Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of Delhi Police’s Crime Branch arrested the senior Bindra from his sprawling farmhouse in Mohali Thursday evening for defrauding a private finance company and a private bank of over Rs.90 million in 2006 and 2007.
Bindra, industrialist, was accused of cheating Apple Finance of Rs.43.1 million and IndusInd Bank of Rs.50 million. He was said to have obtained loans on the basis of forged documents and reportedly issued post-dated cheques, which later bounced.
The senior Bindra had taken the loans for his company Punjab Meats Limited. He has also been accused of having sold the land that had been mortgaged to the bank against the loan amount.
On the complaint of the two companies, two cases were registered against Bindra in November 2006 and February 2007 at the Connaught Place police station. Seeing the gravity of the crime, the matter was transferred to the EOW of the Delhi Police for further investigations. A Delhi court May 10 issued a non bailable warrant against him after he continued to evade the hearings.
Bindra, who was to be brought to New Delhi Friday, complained of chest pain immediately after his arrest and was admitted to GMCH, where he remained in the cardiac care unit.
According to police sources, Bindra had no visitors except his family and they kept away from reporters.
“Our team of doctors is continuously monitoring him as he has complained of chest pain and his blood pressure is high,” V.K. Kaushal, medical superintendent of the GMCH, said.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Amulya Patnaik, when asked if the EOW has a strong case against Bindra, told IANS in Delhi that they had verified certain aspects of the case and presented it before the court. “The court has taken action on the report filed by us.”
Patnaik, however, refused to comment about the other accused in the case. “As if now the non bailable warrant was only issued against Bindra.”
Senior crime branch officials in the capital are hopeful that Bindra would be spending some time behind bars. “In routine cases, the accused are arrested first and the matter is investigated subsequently. But in the economic offences, the matter is first thoroughly investigated and then the accused detained only if there is substantial and clinching evidence.”
“In EOW cases, bail is not granted easily,” said a senior crime branch official.
- Strong case against Abhinav Bindra's dad: Police (Second Lead) - May 15, 2009
- Have strong case against Abhinav Bindra's father for fraud: police (Lead) - May 15, 2009
- Delhi police awaits medical clearance to bring Bindra's father - May 18, 2009
- Two sisters arrested for defrauding Kolkata bank - Jul 01, 2012
- Four executives held for illegal money transfers in Odisha - Aug 04, 2012
- Local court rejects Bindra's transit bail plea - May 19, 2009
- Jundal sent to police custody in Nashik attack plot - Sep 11, 2012
- Abhinav Bindra's arrested father remains hospitalised - May 15, 2009
- Chandigarh NRI abductors planned to kill him - Apr 11, 2012
- Olympic gold medallist's father questioned over alleged fraud - Jun 03, 2009
- Fraud accused Bindra discharged from hospital - May 24, 2009
- Police arrest ninth accused in Rs.10 crore heist - Jan 18, 2011
- Raja, Balwa's CBI custody extended (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Dey murder: Jigna Vora granted bail (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- No arrest for Nupur Talwar, rules apex court (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012