Abducted Chhattisgarh district collector’s release likelyApril 30th, 2012 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 30 (IANS) The release of abducted Sukma collector Alex Paul Menon seemed likely with the Maoist interlocutors and the Chhattisgarh government-appointed mediators agreeing Monday night to form a high-powered panel to deal with the Maoists’ demands.
Maoist interlocutors, Hyderabad-based professor G. Hargopal and Delhi-based former IAS officer B.D. Sharma and government mediators Nirmala Buch and S.K. Mishra agreed to a draft Monday night, paving the way for likely release of Menon.
Menon, 32, a 2006 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer is in Maoist captivity since April 21. The official, who belongs to Tamil Nadu, was abducted at gunpoint by rebels from a forested location in Sukma district, some 500 km south from here, while he was interacting with tribals.
The Maoists shot dead his two guards who resisted his abduction.
- Sukma collector may be released soon (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Abducted Chhattisgarh collector may walk free Wednesday - May 01, 2012
- Collector's abduction: Mediators meet fail to break deadlock (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
- Abducted Chhattisgarh collector may be freed Wednesday (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Maoists free Menon, says ready to serve in Sukma again (Second Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Abducted collector: Maoists' mediators fly to Bastar - Apr 28, 2012
- Armed Maoists receive interlocutors in Chhattisgarh jungle (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Mediators resume talks for release of Sukma collector - Apr 30, 2012
- Sukma collector safe, say mediators after meeting Maoists - Apr 29, 2012
- Maoists' mediators sum up talks as rebels hike demands (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Maoists finally free a fatigued Menon (Roundup) - May 03, 2012
- Maoists up demand for releasing Menon, want 17 rebels freed - Apr 27, 2012
- Chhattisgarh peace process with Maoists hangs in balance - Jun 06, 2012
- Abducted collector: Government, Maoist mediators hold talks (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Two kidnappings: Maoists release MLA, hold on to collector (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, alex, captivity, chhattisgarh government, gunpoint, indian administrative service, interlocutors, maoist, maoists, mediators, menon, mishra, monday night, paving the way, rebels