Abbas to submit UN bid after General Assembly addressSeptember 23rd, 2011 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza, Sep 23 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Palestine President Mahmoud Abbas will Friday formally submit an application for recognition of statehood to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon after his speech at the General Assembly, a media report said.
Ban will pass the request on to the Security Council within two days so as not to delay the vote, the Palestinian al Quds agency said, citing a high ranking source in Ban’s office.
He is also expected to urge the Security Council for an early vote on the application.
The US, one of the five permanent members with veto powers, has said it will veto any Palestinian statehood bid at the UN Security Council. But the Palestinian authorities have said they will push for at least non-full member status in the UN via a General Assembly vote.
Russia has said it will back the Palestinian statehood bid.
Israel and the US strongly oppose the move, saying the long-running Middle East conflict can be resolved only through negotiations.
After his UN address, Abbas will leave New York for the Palestinian territories for consultations on the next step forward.
- Russia to back bid for Palestinian statehood - Sep 23, 2011
- UNSC to consider Palestinian statehood bid Monday - Sep 24, 2011
- Palestine wants UN vote for statehood - Sep 05, 2011
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Palestinian membership bid report sent to UNSC - Nov 12, 2011
- Palestine applies for UN recognition - Sep 24, 2011
- Palestine applies for UN membership - Sep 24, 2011
- India reiterates 'unequivocal support' for Palestinian state - Sep 23, 2011
- Russia to support Palestine's UN bid for statehood - Sep 14, 2011
- India backs Palestinian bid for UN membership - Oct 01, 2011
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- Israel declines to accept Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Palestine seeks India's support for statehood - Aug 25, 2011
- Israel wants peace with Palestine: Netanyahu at UN - Sep 24, 2011
- India backs Palestine's UN bid, says shouldn't be conditional - Oct 25, 2011
Tags: al quds, assembly address, assembly vote, ban ki moon, consultations, gaza, general assembly, mahmoud abbas, member status, middle east conflict, negotiations, palestine, palestinian authorities, palestinian statehood, palestinian territories, president mahmoud abbas, ria novosti, un secretary general, un security council, veto powers