Abandoned car in Buddha’s route sparks bomb fearNovember 16th, 2008 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 16 (IANS) An abandoned car on the route of Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee’s convoy sparked bomb fears in West Bengal’s Malda district Sunday.”A car was found abandoned on the route of the chief minister’s convoy at Malda town area. The car was immediately taken to a local police station,” state Inspector General of Police (north Bengal) K.L Tamta told IANS
He said initially there was a fear among the residents in the area.
“Later the owner of the car came to the local police station and took away the vehicle. Police also interrogated both the owner and the driver of the vehicle and verified all information about the vehicle,” he said, adding nothing suspicious was found.
“The car was just parked in the Malda town area and the owner had gone to some other place,” he said.
Security was put on high alert in all the six districts in the northern part of the state in view of Bhattacharjee’s two day visit to Malda. It was the chief minister’s first trip out of Kolkata after the Nov 2 landmine blast at Bhadutala in West Midnapore district.
Bhattacharjee and union ministers Ram Vilas Paswan and Jitin Prasada had a close shave as a mine exploded on their convoy route. Six policemen were injured in the blast, suspected to have been triggered by Maoists.
- Bhattacharjee assures JSW of security for Salboni plant - Feb 08, 2010
- Pro-Maoist leader makes things tough for CPI-M - May 06, 2011
- West Bengal residents to keep police out on poll day - Apr 18, 2009
- Forces, Maoists exchange fire in West Bengal - Oct 24, 2009
- Maoist leader remanded in police custody till Oct 1 - Sep 27, 2009
- Tractors used to look for mines on Buddhadeb's route - Nov 15, 2008
- Lalgarh tribal leader alleges attack by CPI-M - Apr 11, 2009
- West Bengal government moves to end Lalgarh impasse - Apr 21, 2009
- Maoists kill three Jharkhand Party activists near Lalgarh - Aug 06, 2009
- People of Lalgarh want Buddhadeb dead: Maoist leader - Jun 16, 2009
- Kolkata intellectuals raise voice against tribal leader's arrest - Oct 02, 2009
- Maoist leader owns up plan to kill Buddhadeb (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Bengal on high alert ahead of Maoist protest - Jun 17, 2010
- Protesters alleging torture lay siege on West Bengal police station - Nov 08, 2008
- 'Police operation in West Bengal's Lalgarh a must before polls' - Apr 06, 2009