A protest against Team Anna goes unheededDecember 11th, 2011 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 11 (IANS) As thousands joined Anna Hazare’s day-long fast at Jantar Mantar Sunday, a group protesting against his team and their version of the Lokpal bill was ignored and forced to stay away from the site.
The All India Confederation of Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes Organisations protested opposite Jantar Mantar on Jaisingh Road as they failed to get police permission to fast near Hazare.
“Due to Anna, police refused to give us the permission, citing lack of space as the reason,” Udit Raj, national president of the confederation, told IANS.
Complaining that both the government’s and Team Anna’s Lokpal bills did not make provisions for representation from backward and minority communities, the organisation has been protesting since long to push for a Bahujan Lokpal bill.
“We are not against their cause but the people involved and demand enquiry against corruption charges against Team Anna members,” added Raj, who claimed that he had contacted Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal and expressed his desire to participate in Sunday’s protest, but got no response.
“It is now clear that they are not in favour of reservation for Dalits, tribals, OBCs and minorities,” he said.
Targeting key Team Anna member Kiran Bedi, Raj said she was herself accused of corruption charges.
Meanwhile, Hazare said that such protests and people should be ignored as their sole aim was to create controversies.
“Everyone has the right to protest in a democracy but I would appeal to everyone here that they should not react to them because we don’t want any controversy attached to our clean movement,” Hazare said.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Udit Raj welcomes decision on Lokpal reservations - Dec 21, 2011
- Dalits protest against Jan Lokpal bill - Aug 24, 2011
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- Team Anna begins indefinite fast for a stringent Lokpal (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Team Anna supporters gather in Jantar Mantar - Jul 25, 2012
- Hazare's fast enters fourth day - Aug 01, 2012
- Hazare begins indefinite fast - Jul 29, 2012
- Lokpal panel likely to finalise report Nov 30 - Nov 28, 2011
- Police mum on Hazare request for fast - Aug 01, 2011
- Hazare begins fast, demands passage of Jan Lokpal bill (Evening Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Anna's support for Dalits half hearted: Udit Raj - Nov 11, 2011
- Team Anna denied permission to protest at Jantar Mantar - Aug 02, 2011
- Lukewarm response to Team Anna fast on Day Four - Jul 28, 2012
- Team Anna launches fast, targets Pranab, PM (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Team Anna supporters protest outside BJP office - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, asian news, confederation, controversies, controversy, corruption charges, enquiry, favour, indo, jantar mantar, key team, minorities, minority communities, national president, New Delhi, news service, protests, rl, sole aim