A powerful blast, and then pools of blood, recount eyewitnessesJuly 14th, 2011 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 13 (IANS) There was a deafening blast and then people were lying injured on the road… that was the account by eyewitnesses at the sites of the three powerful explosions that rocked congested areas of Mumbai Wednesday evening.
The blasts took place in three areas of south Mumbai - near Kabutarkhana in Dadar (W), Zaveri Bazar and Opera House, the jewellery hubs of Mumbai.
Sadashiv Kamble, a shop owner from Dadar, said he heard a loud explosion and first thought it was a cylinder blast, but later realised it was much more serious and ran for life.
Another eyewitness from Dadar said when he first heard the blast he was trying to gauge the situation and then realised it was a bomb explosion.
“I heard a loud explosion. And then I saw people with serious injuries lying in pools of blood,” he said.
The three blasts left at least 13 people dead and over 100 injured.
At least six injured people were rushed to nearby hospitals from the blast site at Kabutarkhana in Dadar west in the evening peak hour when the locality was packed with people.
In Zaveri Bazar, the blast occurred in the famous Khau Gully, which is full of people having their favourite snacks before catching local trains to go home.
An eyewitness, Datatray Jadhav from Zaveri Bazar, said they first heard a loud explosion and rushed to find a girl grievously injured. “A girl and another man were seriously injured. We put them both in a police van and sent them to the hospital,” he said.
“Two others were also injured, however, not as serious. I helped them get into a taxi and reach a nearby medical centre,” he said.
At Opera House, near Charni Road rail station, the blast took place in a building where many diamond and gold jewellery firms are located.
- Terror revisits Mumbai, 21 killed in serial blasts - Jul 14, 2011
- Mumbai blasts death toll rises to 18 - Jul 15, 2011
- Most eyewitnesses mistook blasts for something else - Jul 14, 2011
- Mumbai blasts toll rises to 22 - Jul 23, 2011
- Mumbaikars form human chain to protest blasts - Jul 16, 2011
- Leaders condemn Mumbai serial blasts - Jul 14, 2011
- Mumbai blasts toll rises to 26 - Jul 30, 2011
- Zaveri Bazar became target for the third time - Jul 14, 2011
- Another Mumbai blast injured dies, toll 21 - Jul 23, 2011
- Mumbai blast toll rises to 24 - Jul 25, 2011
- Shaken, but Zaveri Bazar jewellers won't shift - Jul 14, 2011
- Mumbai blast toll rises to 25 - Jul 28, 2011
- Mumbai blasts toll rises to 20 - Jul 19, 2011
- Mumbai blasts toll climbs to 23 (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Private hospitals provide maximum relief to blast victims - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: bomb explosion, cylinder blast, dadar, evening peak, explosions, eyewitnesses, gold jewellery, gully, jadhav, locality, loud explosion, medical centre, nearby hospitals, opera house, peak hour, police van, south mumbai, three blasts, wednesday evening, zaveri