A message that showed 9/11 was about to happenSeptember 9th, 2011 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 9 (IANS) “If you try to make any move, you’re endangering yourself and the airplane,” a voice said. This was the first chilling indication when air traffic controllers realised that something was amiss. 9/11 was about to take place.
Exactly at 8.24 a.m. on Sep 11, 2001, air traffic controllers heard a voice.
“If you try to make any move, you’re endangering yourself and the airplane,” the voice said. “Just stay quiet.”
They didn’t know it then, but they were hearing 9/11 hijacker Mohamed Atta in the first of a string of transmissions that morning as four aircraft were hijacked, reported ABC.
The messages are part of a “audio monograph” compiled first by the 9/11 Commission and completed by Rutgers Law Review.
Barely 20 minutes later, American flight 11 smashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.
Soon another plane, United flight 175, began to close in.
A controller said: “Another one just hit the building.”
“The building just came apart,” said another.
Then in Washington, D.C., American flight 77 was seen on the radar just outside the capital, the media report said.
“I said, ‘Oh my God. It looks like he’s headed to the White House’,” recalled air traffic controller Danielle O’Brien.
American flight 77 changed course away from the White House and slammed into the Pentagon.
Cleveland controllers realised that a fourth flight, United 93, had also been hijacked.
At 10:03 a.m., it crashed in a field in Shanksville, Penn.
- US remembers the day that changed their lives - Sep 12, 2011
- US dedicates new memorial ahead of 9/11's 10th anniversary - Sep 11, 2011
- American history museum to host 9/11 exhibit - Sep 02, 2011
- First Lady Michelle Obama And Laura Bush Visit Temporary Memorial Site At Shanksville - Sep 12, 2010
- Ten years after 9/11, Indian Americans have come a long way - Sep 10, 2011
- F-16s scrambled as US marked 9/11 anniversary - Sep 12, 2011
- US marks 9/11 sans politicians at ground zero - Sep 11, 2012
- Remains of some 9/11 victims ended up in landfill - Mar 01, 2012
- US issues travel alert ahead of 9/11 anniversary - Sep 03, 2011
- Obama visits Shanksville crash site - Sep 12, 2011
- Pentagon tries to block book on 9/11 plotter - Sep 11, 2010
- Obama, Michelle to attend 10th anniversary of 9/11 - Aug 03, 2011
- India toughens anti-hijack policy, but remains vulnerable (12 years after IC-814 hijack) - Dec 23, 2011
- London oil executive linked to 9/11 hijackers - Feb 18, 2012
- 9/11 suspects to be arraigned May 5: Pentagon - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: 9 11 commission, air traffic controller, air traffic controllers, airplane, american flight 11, american flight 77, danielle, flight united 93, fourth flight, hijacker, mohamed atta, monograph, north tower, o brien, pentagon, rutgers law, sep 11 2001, shanksville penn, united flight 175, world trade center