A look at some of the major Maoist attacksMay 17th, 2010 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) The deadly Maoist guerrilla attack on a civilian bus in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district Monday evening comes just over a month after the Left rebels’ audacious April 6 attack on security forces in the same area, killing 76 personnel.
Some of the major Maoist guerrilla attacks in past:
April 6, 2010: 76 security personnel, of whom 75 belonged to the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), slaughtered by Maoists in the Chintalnar forested hamlet of Dantewada district.
April 4, 2010: Maoists detonate powerful landmine and blow up police bus in Koraput district, Orissa, killing around 10 Special Operations Group personnel and injuring 16.
March 23, 2010: Maoists blast a railway track in Bihar’s Gaya district, causing derailment of the Bhubaneswar-New Delhi Rajdhani Express. On the same day, a landmine attack in Orissa leaves an empty freight train derailed and hitting railway services on the Howrah-Mumbai route.
Feb 15, 2010: Around 100 Maoists storm a police camp in Silda, West Bengal, killing 24 policemen and looting arms.
Oct 8, 2009: 17 policemen were killed in an ambush by Maoists at Laheri police station in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra.
July 27, 2009: Six CRPF men killed in a landmine blast at Dantewada district in Chhattisgarh.
July 12, 2009: Three separate attacks in Rajnandgaon district of Chhattisgarh claim the lives of 30 security personnel.
June 23, 2009: A group of motorcycle-borne armed Maoists open fire on Lakhisarai district court premises in Bihar to free four of their men.
June 10, 2009: Nine security personnel, including CRPF troopers, ambushed by Maoists during a routine patrol in Saranda jungles in Jharkhand.
May 22, 2009: Maoists kill 16 policemen in the jungles of Gadchiroli district in Maharashtra.
April 13, 2009: Around 10 policemen are killed in eastern Orissa’s Koraput district when Maoists attack a state-run bauxite mine.
- Maoists' attack trail in the past year - Apr 06, 2010
- Maoists kill 11 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Maoists kill 12 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Fourth Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Attack meant to reassert Maoist presence in Jharkhand: police - May 04, 2011
- Dantewada still burns, year after India's worst Maoist strike - Apr 05, 2011
- Train attack is ninth major Maoist strike this year - May 28, 2010
- Two CRPF men killed, 5 injured in Maoist ambush - Jul 23, 2012
- Chhattisgarh Maoists step up attacks to taunt army, say experts - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists blow up police bus, 10 killed (Second Lead) - Apr 04, 2010
- Maoists' hideout discovered in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district - May 18, 2010
- Maoists kill six villagers in Chhattisgarh - May 16, 2010
- Six civilians, two Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh violence (Second Lead) - May 16, 2010