A look at some of the major Maoist attacksMay 17th, 2010 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) The deadly Maoist guerrilla attack on a civilian bus in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district Monday evening comes just over a month after the Left rebels’ audacious April 6 attack on security forces in the same area, killing 76 personnel.
Some of the major Maoist guerrilla attacks in past:
April 6, 2010: 76 security personnel, of whom 75 belonged to the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), slaughtered by Maoists in the Chintalnar forested hamlet of Dantewada district.
April 4, 2010: Maoists detonate powerful landmine and blow up police bus in Koraput district, Orissa, killing around 10 Special Operations Group personnel and injuring 16.
March 23, 2010: Maoists blast a railway track in Bihar’s Gaya district, causing derailment of the Bhubaneswar-New Delhi Rajdhani Express. On the same day, a landmine attack in Orissa leaves an empty freight train derailed and hitting railway services on the Howrah-Mumbai route.
Feb 15, 2010: Around 100 Maoists storm a police camp in Silda, West Bengal, killing 24 policemen and looting arms.
Oct 8, 2009: 17 policemen were killed in an ambush by Maoists at Laheri police station in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra.
July 27, 2009: Six CRPF men killed in a landmine blast at Dantewada district in Chhattisgarh.
July 12, 2009: Three separate attacks in Rajnandgaon district of Chhattisgarh claim the lives of 30 security personnel.
June 23, 2009: A group of motorcycle-borne armed Maoists open fire on Lakhisarai district court premises in Bihar to free four of their men.
June 10, 2009: Nine security personnel, including CRPF troopers, ambushed by Maoists during a routine patrol in Saranda jungles in Jharkhand.
May 22, 2009: Maoists kill 16 policemen in the jungles of Gadchiroli district in Maharashtra.
April 13, 2009: Around 10 policemen are killed in eastern Orissa’s Koraput district when Maoists attack a state-run bauxite mine.
- Maoists' attack trail in the past year - Apr 06, 2010
- Maoists kill 11 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Maoists kill 12 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Fourth Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Attack meant to reassert Maoist presence in Jharkhand: police - May 04, 2011
- Dantewada still burns, year after India's worst Maoist strike - Apr 05, 2011
- Train attack is ninth major Maoist strike this year - May 28, 2010
- Two CRPF men killed, 5 injured in Maoist ambush - Jul 23, 2012
- Chhattisgarh Maoists step up attacks to taunt army, say experts - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists blow up police bus, 10 killed (Second Lead) - Apr 04, 2010
- Maoists' hideout discovered in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district - May 18, 2010
- Maoists kill six villagers in Chhattisgarh - May 16, 2010
- Six civilians, two Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh violence (Second Lead) - May 16, 2010
Tags: bhubaneswar, chhattisgarh, court premises, empty freight train, gaya district, guerrilla attack, guerrilla attacks, howrah, landmine blast, maoist, maoists, police bus, police camp, railway services, railway track, rajdhani express, reserve police, routine patrol, special operations group, west bengal