A first in 15 years: Indian Army chief to visit Vietnam (Lead)July 21st, 2010 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 11 (IANS) Indian Army chief General V.K. Singh will July 26 begin a four-day visit to Vietnam - the first such in the past 15 years - to “boost” bilateral military ties between the two countries, an army spokesperson said Wednesday.
During the visit, the army chief will call on Vietnam Defence Minister General Phung Quang Than.
The trip, which comes 15 years after then army chief General Shankar Roy Chowdhury’s visit to Vietnam in 1995, will take Singh to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh cities.
Singh will hold talks with his Vietnamese counterpart Colonel-General Nguyen Khac Nghien and interact with various military commanders “to boost the defence cooperation between the two countries”, the spokesperson said.
Vietnam and India share a strategic partnership, including cooperation on enhancing regional security and fighting terrorism, transnational crime and drug trafficking.
The two countries are members of the six-nation Mekong-Ganga Cooperation initiative that also includes Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos and which is meant to enhance close ties between the member nations.
Vietnam has supported India’s bid to become a permanent member of the UN Security Council and to join the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum.
- Army Chief to visit Vietnam - Jul 21, 2010
- India to host ministers of Mekong-Ganga countries - Dec 05, 2011
- India to help Vietnam enhance, upgrade its armed forces - Oct 13, 2010
- India, Vietnam plan joint army training - Oct 13, 2010
- Ahead of ASEAN summit, India to host Mekong-Ganga meeting - Aug 13, 2012
- Vietnam navy chief seeks expansion of defence cooperation - Jun 27, 2011
- Japanese army chief's visit to boost defence cooperation - Feb 14, 2011
- With China on mind, Krishna heads to Vietnam - Sep 13, 2011
- Patil arrives in Cambodia to boost ties (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- India, Saudi Arabia to set up joint defence panel (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
- India for fast-tracking ASEAN highway links - Sep 04, 2012
- Poland's defence minister to visit India - Nov 04, 2008
- In a first, Antony goes to Saudi Arabia on key defence visit - Feb 11, 2012
- Antony's visit: India, Saudi Arabia seek stronger ties - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: army chief, army spokesperson, asia pacific economic cooperation, chief general, close ties, defence cooperation, drug trafficking, fighting terrorism, ho chi minh, india share, indian army, member nations, military ties, minister general, pacific economic cooperation, phung, roy chowdhury, six nation, strategic partnership, transnational crime