A bull’s story: stray while alive, worshipped when deadOctober 10th, 2008 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
Jagatsinghpur, Oct 10 (IANS) While alive, a bull coudn’t find a home, but in death there might be a statue erected in its memory in a village in Orissa. The bull died of old age Sep 25 at Chandpur village in Jagatsinghpur district.
The villagers have decided to erect a statue of the bull, which they say is a symbol of Lord Shiva.
To mourn the demise of the stray bull, at least 10 men shaved their heads On the 11th day of its death, one of the villagers Gopal Beura told IANS.
“The bull, according to Hindu religion, is considered as the steed of Lord Shiva and that is why we worshiped the bull,” a village woman said.
The residents carried the dead bull in a procession and cremated it on the outskirts of the village.
Many Hindus of the village performed rituals usually performed when one loses a member of the family. The women of the village went without non-vegetarian food for 11 days after its death.
The villagers also preformed puja (prayers) and yagna (fire rituals), and prayed for the departed soul.
A community feast was also held.
- Kashmir arranges for fish sale for Pandits - Feb 18, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Mahanavami - Oct 16, 2010
- Durga Puja fever soars in West Bengal (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- Fish to brinjal fry...take your pick at Puja (Feature) - Oct 03, 2011
- Thousands hit the roads as Durga Puja begins in Bengal - Oct 02, 2011
- Pranab dons the priest's robe during Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- Famous Los Angeles Getty Museum exhibiting Ganesha and Vishnu - Mar 01, 2011
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Fasting, prayers mark Mahashivratri in Delhi - Mar 02, 2011
- Priests perform traditional Hindu fire ritual in Himachal Pradesh - Oct 20, 2009
- Mumbai celebrates Ganesh festival - Sep 19, 2012
- Ganesh festival begins in Mumbai (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Women defy tradition by performing last rites - Feb 12, 2010
- Go vegan for ritual: Tibetan government-in-exile - Oct 30, 2011