A British school where kids learn head massageOctober 3rd, 2011 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
London, Oct 3 (IANS) A primary school in Britain trains its students in head massage, a daily practice which is claimed to have helped them in remaining calm.
Pupils as young as five have been trained in massage techniques, which they practice on their peers every day after lunch, Daily Mail reported.
According to the teachers at Franche Community Primary School, in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, the daily massages are having a positive effect on pupils’ behaviour by calming them down before afternoon lessons.
The initiative was introduced by teacher Tabitha Smith into her Year One classroom two years ago, as part of a pilot initiative. It proved to be such a success that the child-on-child massages were later applied in the entire school.
After the children have had their lunchtime play, they spend 10 minutes soothing their classmates with special head massage movements.
Smith, 41, said: “The scheme has had a brilliant effect on the pupils, giving them a real self-esteem buzz… It doesn’t impact on their learning either, as the massage only takes 10 minutes a day.”
“There are routine moves which the children learn and remember by looking at pictures…One of the movements is called ‘Hearts’ and is particularly lovely as it promotes caring for everyone,” she said, adding: “We didn’t introduce the massages to tackle behavioural problems, as we don’t tend to have any.”
- Knitting 'has a revolutionary effect on pupils' behaviour' - Feb 13, 2011
- British kids carry knives to school - Sep 12, 2011
- British schools send off 900 violent pupils each day - Jul 30, 2011
- Anger management lessons for pupils at British school - Jan 24, 2012
- Many British pupils cannot even catch a ball - May 31, 2012
- Computer games could be turning your kid violent - Jul 26, 2012
- A British school where pupils speak 31 languages - Jun 09, 2012
- British school gets award set up by Napoleon - Jan 01, 2012
- Brit school launches talking PCs for students who can't speak English - Jul 07, 2010
- 'Best teachers are enthusiastic, inspiring' - Jul 08, 2009
- Parents responsible for kid's bad behaviour: Survey - Apr 24, 2011
- UK teacher banned for 2-yrs for spraying Asian pupils with air freshener - Feb 17, 2011
- School to ban kids who are not toilet-trained - Jun 04, 2011
- National body for controlling teachers largely welcomed - Sep 04, 2011
- Businesswoman re-mortgages home for kids' breakfast club - Jun 12, 2011
Tags: behavioural problems, buzz, classmates, daily mail, entire school, head massage, hearts, lunch, lunchtime, massage london, massage movements, massage techniques, massages, peers, pilot initiative, pupils, self esteem, year one