A billion mobile phones in China; 3G penetration lowApril 1st, 2012 - 11:32 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 1 (IANS) Even though China reached a milestone in February when the number of mobile phone users in the country surpassed one billion, the 3G penetration rate is still low at 14 percent, a report said.
In the first two months of this year, China added 21 million new phone users to create a total of 1.01 billion customers, according to the ministry of industry and information technology.
The user base is double the combined population of the US and Japan, the China Daily reported.
The mobile penetration rate of China, now at 73.6 percent, is still lower than that of the West, where it reaches over 90 percent or even above 100 percent, meaning some people have two or more phones, the ministry said.
During January and February, China added 25 million new 3G users to reach a total of 143 million, or 14.3 percent of all mobile phone users. However, it is much lower than that of Western countries that have a penetration rate of 70 to 80 percent, the ministry said.
- China records over 1 billion cell phone users - Mar 30, 2012
- 152 mn 3G users in China - May 18, 2012
- China's mobile phone users exceed 940 mn - Sep 26, 2011
- China has 1.06 bn mobile phone connections - Aug 28, 2012
- China's telecommunication sector revenue up - Feb 07, 2012
- China has 952 mn mobile phone users - Oct 28, 2011
- China nearing billion-mark in mobile phone users - Aug 30, 2011
- China to have 900 mn mobile phone users this year - Apr 27, 2011
- Chinese second most widely used language on internet - Jul 14, 2011
- China's internet users reach 513 million - Jan 16, 2012
- A billion cellphone users in China! - Apr 20, 2012
- China has 1.13 bn phone users by August - Sep 25, 2010
- China has 900 mn mobile phone users - May 24, 2011
- China's online game market hits $7 bn mark - Apr 02, 2012
- China's internet users rise to 513 million (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012