98 Delhi policemen suspended for graftApril 5th, 2008 - 8:37 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 5 (IANS) The Delhi Police Saturday suspended 98 policemen for taking bribes from Blueline bus operators to let off their buses for flouting traffic rules. “The 98 policemen were found guilty following a departmental enquiry. A sting operation showed them accepting bribe from bus operators. They have been suspended,” Delhi police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat told IANS.
The suspended policemen include 18 sub-inspectors, six hawaldars and around 74 constables.
A man claimed to have filmed 98 policemen demanding and accepting bribes from Blueline bus drivers at 23 traffic lights across the capital. The sting operation CD was submitted to the Delhi High Court on Jan 2.
The court asked the home ministry and Delhi police commissioner Y.S. Dadwal to look into the matter.
The man, who filmed the sting operation with the help of a Blueline bus owner, is 34-year-old Chetan Prakash. The sting was carried out between Sep 12 and Dec 12 last year.
Prakash claimed the traffic police organised a racket to extort money from the bus operators.
“The cops used to demand money from the bus owners for releasing their impounded buses and also a daily entry fee. Every bus in the capital has to pass through one of these entry points everyday,” said Prakash.
On an earlier occasion too, Prakash filmed about 59 policemen taking bribes from bootleggers. He had submitted the tapes to the Delhi High Court and all the policemen were suspended after the court ordered an enquiry.
Blueline buses have earned the sobriquet of ‘killer buses’ for mowing down as many as 120 people on the roads of the capital last year. The toll this year has reached 19.
- Blueline buses to be back on Delhi roads Monday - Oct 15, 2010
- Contracts signed for four more bus clusters in Delhi - Nov 01, 2010
- Court ruling on Blueline buses Thursday - Mar 02, 2011
- Blueline buses get brief lease of life (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Blueline buses get fresh lease of life (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Court tips on traffic scenario after Blueline buses exit - Mar 03, 2011
- Corporate bigwigs to make inroads into Delhi bus services - Nov 01, 2010
- Blueline buses to breath their last in June 2012 (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Blueline buses with permits continue to ply on Delhi roads - Feb 01, 2011
- Delhi clears way for corporates into city bus services (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Blueline buses finally to go off Delhi roads - Jan 31, 2011
- Court backs government on phasing out Blueline buses - Nov 01, 2010
- Court reserves order on phase-out of Blueline buses - Jan 20, 2011
- Blueline buses not to return to Delhi roads - Oct 25, 2010
- Court allows Blueline buses to ply in south Delhi - Oct 29, 2010