9 Tibetans held for protesting outside Chinese embassy in DelhiApril 13th, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) Nine Tibetan students were arrested Monday after they chained themselves to the barbed wire fencing outside the Chinese embassy here to protest against a Chinese court recently sentencing two Tibetans to death, police said.
“Nine Tibetans have been arrested for protesting outside the Chinese embassy. Wire cutters were used to cut their chains and they will be produced in a local court soon,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi) S. Dash told IANS.
The semi-naked protestors chained themselves outside the Chinese embassy in Chanakyapuri Monday and started shouting slogans against China accusing it of illegally occupying Tibet, police said.
“We have further increased the security outside Chinese embassy after the incident,” said Dash.
According to the Regional Tibet Youth Congress: “The students were protesting against China sentencing two Tibetans to death last week for their alleged involvement in last year’s anti-government protests in Lhasa.”
There had been large scale protests in the national capital before the Beijing Olympics.
Around 100,000 Tibetans live across India. The Tibetan government-in-exile, not recognised by any country, has been based in Dharamsala in Himachal Pradesh ever since the Dalai Lama fled Tibet in 1959.
- Tibetans held for picketing Chinese embassy, released (Lead) - Oct 09, 2011
- Tibetan exiles protest outside Chinese embassy in New Delhi - Apr 17, 2009
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Journalists banned from entering Tibet: Media organisation - Feb 28, 2012
- International community apprised on Tibetans' plight - Oct 23, 2011
- Tibetan self immolations: Why isn't the world listening? (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
- Dharamsala calm as Wen arrives in India (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Don't encourage self-immolation, says Tibetan PM-in-exile - Nov 05, 2011
- Tibetan exiles stage a naked protest outside Chinese embassy in New Delhi - Apr 13, 2009
- Former US speaker urges China for dialogue on Tibet - Feb 09, 2012
- UN recognises grim situation in Tibet: Sangay - Mar 24, 2012
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Free Tibet, Our Right: Tibetan exiles - Nov 11, 2011
- Tibetans detained for trying to storm Chinese embassy - Mar 09, 2010
- Adopt liberal policies for Tibet, exiles urge China - Jan 07, 2012