$9 million Australian food aid for PakistanJune 6th, 2008 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
By Neena Bhandari
Sydney, June 6 (IANS) Australia will provide A$9 million (US$8.6 million) to Pakistan in urgent food aid for areas close to the Afghanistan border, Foreign Minister Stephen Smith has said. Australia has already committed A$30 million (US$ 29 million) to the United Nations World Food Programme.
In addition, Smith told the Australian Broadcasting Corp late Thursday night: “We’re providing an extra $9 million (US$8.6 million) to Pakistan for areas close to the Afghanistan border, $8 million (US$ 7.7 million) for Zimbabwe, and $2 million (US$ 1.9 million) for North Korea.”
Australia’s aid to Pakistan will also go towards improving access to basic health and education services for one million Pakistanis, primarily to improve the nutrition and health of children, pregnant and lactating women, and also increase children’s access to education through on-site nutrition at schools, including the provision of take home rations for girls and boys attending primary school.
The funds will be targeted at the poorest and most marginalised populations living along the border with Afghanistan in Balochistan and in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
In 2007-08, Australia will provide Pakistan an estimated A$25 million in development assistance. This would include building agricultural linkages between the two countries and providing scholarships at Australian institutions.
- Rebuilding education from the ruins: Afghan minister (Interview) - Jul 01, 2012
- 500,000 lactating or pregnant flood-hit women in Pak need instant care: NGO - Oct 15, 2010
- Australia to give $200 mn aid to Pakistan - May 21, 2012
- Australia Issues Report on Crimes Against Foreign Students - Aug 12, 2011
- Clinton unveils $500-mn aid projects for Pakistan - Jul 19, 2010
- US halting military aid to Pakistan for expulsions - Jul 10, 2011
- Pakistani Army got only $1.4 bn American aid: Kayani - Jun 10, 2011
- Hello, This Is Nature's Call From A Garbage Heap! - Apr 07, 2012
- Pakistan to get $3.1 bn in US aid in 2012 - Feb 15, 2011
- US to give $35 mn to Cambodia - Oct 25, 2011
- US to freeze $700 mn aid to Pakistan - Dec 13, 2011
- Underfunding for Pak flood emergency jeopardizing life-saving operations: UNICEF - Nov 06, 2010
- Dalai Lama donates money to fight child malnutrition - May 15, 2012
- Salient features of food bill - Dec 22, 2011
- Safe motherhood incentives showing positive results: Azad - Aug 01, 2012