9 killed in two road accidents in Jammu regionMarch 24th, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 24 (IANS) At least nine people were killed and 29 injured in two separate accidents on mountainous roads in the Jammu region of Jammu and Kashmir Saturday.
Police officials told IANS that a private bus carrying 35 passengers, all of them Bihari labourers, was going from Jammu to Srinagar. It skidded off the mountainous National Highway near Nashri, about 140 km north of Jammu.
“Six people died in the accident while 29 others were injured,” said a police official. He said three people died on the spot while three others died on way to Ramban hospital.
The second accident happened at Ragie on the Jammu-Kishtwar highway when a private van fell into a gorge. “Three members of a family travelling in the van died on the spot.”
The police said both accidents were being investigated but preliminary reports pointed to drivers in both cases losing control while negotiating sharp curves.
Mountainous roads in the Jammu region are notorious for road accidents. They are mostly attributed to over-loading of passenger buses, poor maintenance of vehicles, and shabby road conditions coupled with lack of mountain-driving skills.
- 8 killed as bus falls into gorge in Jammu - Aug 21, 2012
- Eight die in Kashmir road accidents - Oct 23, 2011
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- 15 pilgrims killed in Jammu bus accident (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 13 killed in road accident in Jammu - May 30, 2012
- 22 die in Kashmir road accident - Sep 13, 2011
- 27 killed, 21 injured in accidents in northeast - Jul 21, 2012
- Eight killed in Jammu and Kashmir accidents - May 27, 2010
- 34 killed in Himachal bus accident (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Two killed in Kashmir bus accident - Jul 11, 2012
- 16 killed in Kashmir road accident - Aug 20, 2011
- 35 injured in bus accident in Rajouri - Jul 25, 2012
- School bus in Kashmir rolls into gorge, 3 killed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Three killed, 35 injured in Jammu road accident - Jan 15, 2010