9 injured in China earthquakeDecember 26th, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kunming (China) Dec 26 (Xinhua) An earthquake measuring 4.9 on the Richter scale early Friday injured nine people in the southwestern Chinese province of Yunnan along the border with Myanmar.The quake hit a village about 10 km from capital Ruili at 4.20 a.m., the provincial seismic network reported.
The city’s Communist Party chief Yang Yueguo said two villagers were seriously wounded and the seven suffered slight injuries.
The quake destroyed the old government office building, Yang said adding that authorities were assessing the extent of damage.
Three moderate earthquakes Aug 20-21 in the adjacent Yingjiang county killed five people and injured more than 100.
On May 12, a killer earthquake measuring 8.0 on the Richter scale hit parts of Sichuan province in the southwest and some neighbouring areas, killing nearly 70,000 people, destroying an area of 42,000 km and displacing some 40 million people. Post-quake rebuilding and rehabilitation works are still going on.
- At least 19 dead, 168 injured injured after quake devastates SW China county - Mar 10, 2011
- China quake: Toll rises to 80 (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- Strong quake rocks China-Myanmar border region, casualties unknown - Mar 10, 2011
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- 300 killed in twin quakes in Iran (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 01, 2011
- Moderate quake hits Balochistan - May 25, 2012
- 90 killed in Iran quake - Aug 12, 2012
- 14 killed in China quake - Mar 10, 2011
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
- 44 die in Philippine quake - Feb 06, 2012
- Quake felt 70 km from Iranian nuclear plant - Feb 05, 2012
- 7.6-magnitude quake off central Philippines (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 31, 2012
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012