Court seeks government reply on TV channels’ regulationAugust 25th, 2008 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday sought the government’s reply on a plea by the Asaram Ashram Trust to enforce guidelines to regulate television news channels.A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan and Justice P. Sathasivam issued notice to the government asking it to detail the extent to which the guidelines for regulating news channels are being enforced.
It issued the notice after being told that the Cable Television Network Regulation Act, 1995 and rules relating to it seek regulation of electronic media.
The bench issued the notice on a lawsuit by the Sant Shree Asaramji Ashram Trust, which objected to the reporting of deaths of three children at its schools in Ahmedabad in Gujarat and Chhindwara in Madhya Pradesh.
The bench, however, rejected a plea by the trust to issue directions to regulate the electronic media.
“We will try to find out some mechanism,” it said while issuing the notice.
Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for the trust, contended that the television news channels should not be permitted to telecast “one-sided reports”.
He wanted the channels to highlight “the versions of other sides” as well while reporting an event to ensure that the news report was balanced.
Terming some news reports on the children’s deaths in the trust’s ashrams as “irresponsible”, Rohtagi said these reports had tarnished the image of the Asaram Bapu Ashram, which runs religious and charitable units all over the country.
He said though the forensic reports confirmed that the two students had died of drowning, a section of the electronic media termed the deaths as mysterious.
He said compared the case of the Asaram Trust with that of Noida murder victim Aarushi’s father Rajesh Talwar, who had been arrested for the crime before his eventual release.
- Asaram Bapu survives chopper crash, probe ordered - Aug 29, 2012
- SC notice to CBI on Nupur Talwar's bail plea (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Newspaper society opposes fresh norms on court reporting - Apr 18, 2012
- SC notice to CBI on Nupur Talwar's bail plea - Jul 16, 2012
- Court wants early meeting of panel on media - Mar 07, 2012
- SC wants balanced reporting of court proceedings - Mar 29, 2012
- SC against guidelines on court reporting, allows curbs (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Asaram ashram encroachment demolished in Gujarat - Nov 27, 2010
- Asaram Bapu asked to appear before panel on ashram deaths - May 09, 2011
- Guidelines on media would amount to judicial over-reach, SC told - May 04, 2012
- Falak case: Court wants guidelines for media (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Balance freedom of press with rights of accused, says apex court - Mar 27, 2012
- Apex court denies relief to Asaram Bapu in murder case - Jan 04, 2010
- 'Media should self-regulate, ward off regulator' - Apr 02, 2012
- Falak case: Court wants guidelines for media (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012