88 female students from madrassa taken to Goa police stationDecember 16th, 2008 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 16 (IANS) After stumbling upon a madrassa functioning within a guest house in the port town of Vasco, the Goa police Tuesday took nearly 88 female students and six teachers from the seminary to the police station for verification, a police official said.A police official claimed that the madrassa was functioning in a guest house called ‘Pravasi Niwas’ in Vasco town. The police accidentally stumbled upon it during a tenant verification drive, which was initiated after the 26/11 terror strikes in Mumbai.
“When we learnt about the madrassa, we wanted to carry out verification of the students who were put up there. But we were not allowed to go in,” claimed Vasco Sub-Divisional Police Officer Deu Benaulikar.
Benaulikar said the madrassa management was then warned that the verification was essential and were asked to report to the Vasco police station under police escort.
“There were 88 women and six teachers who were picked up for verification,” Benaulikar said.
Goa Inspector General of Police Kishen Kumar told reporters that the verification process was peaceful and that all the 88 women and the teachers were released immediately in the evening after the police recorded their personal details.
The incident, however, triggered muted outrage in the Muslim community residing in Vasco.
In a series of raids over the last few weeks, the police have arrested nearly 1,000 people residing illegally in the state from various slums, as part of a security measure in the aftermath of the Mumbai terror attacks.
- Goa Muslims outraged at madrassa raid - Dec 17, 2008
- Hindu group threatens stir after police officers' transfer - Jan 03, 2009
- No FIR against criminal contracted to kill Goa minister: Cops - Apr 12, 2011
- Arrested Swedish army woman to be produced for remand - Jan 03, 2012
- Madrassa teacher held for sodomising student - Mar 23, 2011
- Quran with Bhagavad Gita in a communal harmony class - Nov 21, 2011
- Foreigner couple freed after being locked in Goa store - Apr 28, 2012
- Proceedings against suspended cop dropped - Mar 31, 2011
- It is Fortress Delhi ahead of I-Day - Aug 12, 2012
- Under-trial escapes from police custody - Apr 22, 2011
- Goa police arrests man for entering prohibited defence area - Dec 24, 2008
- Nurseries of tolerance: Hindus in Islamic seminaries (Feature) - Jul 07, 2011
- 21 Shiv Sainiks held for protests against 'MNIK' in Goa - Feb 12, 2010
- Delhi on high alert ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2012
- Madrassas help students make sense of the world (Comment) - Apr 20, 2012