87 bombs found at British nudist beachOctober 13th, 2011 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 13 (IANS) A total of 87 bombs, some dating back to the late 19th century, washed ashore at a nudist beach in Britain, as stunned naturists gawked during a two-day sweep of the sands by the Royal Navy.
The Royal Navy was called in after 26 bombs, including two submarine depth charges and at least six 10-pound mortars, washed up on the beach. A subsequent search unearthed 61 more explosives, The Sun reported Thursday.
The navy’s elite team of bomb disposal officers detonated explosives in the sea near the shore.
A string of other items such as bullets were part of the haul found at Leysdown beach on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent, the newspaper said.
North Kent coast guard manager Colin Ingram, who oversaw the controlled explosions, said: “It is quite a find. A lot of shooting and plane exercises happened around Leysdown.”
“Sometimes the shells wouldn’t go off when dropped from a plane or shot from a rifle,” he said.
“They were cushioned by the mud and did not explode.”
The east side of the beach - often called Shellness - is the official nudist area.
It is listed on the UK’s Naturist Factfile, which says: “Recent reports suggest regular use by 20 to 30 naturists, with up to 100 at busy weekends.”
The website adds: “This beach is a mixture of sand, shingle, shells and, in places, mud.”
A sunken Second World War wreck - the SS Richard Montgomery - lies two miles off the coast and is packed with 1,400 tonnes of explosives. But the bombs on the beach are not thought to have come from the stricken US vessel which went down in 1944, according to the newspaper.
- 100 WW II bombs washed up on UK beach due to Super Moon phenomenon - Mar 26, 2011
- French naturists protest open-air sex by tourists - Nov 07, 2010
- Commander was bathing as British n-submarine hit sandbank - Apr 25, 2012
- Nudists and swingers fighting it out in France's 'Naked City' - Sep 23, 2010
- Now, take a 'naturist holiday' with 7-night naked cruise - Oct 15, 2010
- Being nude: Nothing unnatural about it (Feature) - Oct 23, 2011
- Oil poisoning? Alarming sea animal deaths on India's west coast (With Images) - Apr 07, 2012
- Lack of transport leads to campaign for legalisation of Oz city nude beach! - Dec 16, 2009
- Goa's former nudist beach to have 2014 Games Village - Mar 28, 2011
- Bits of plastic endangering sea creatures - Apr 18, 2012
- Scientists predict how oil from Deepwater Horizon spill will spread - Sep 03, 2010
- Mumbai beaches face oil spill, people asked to stay off (Lead) - Aug 07, 2011
- Tar balls from Goa beaches to be incinerated - Sep 06, 2010
- US Navy jet crashes, pilots safe - Apr 07, 2012
- Indian drowned at New Zealand beach - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: bomb disposal, bombs, colin ingram, depth charges, elite team, explosions, explosives, factfile, gawked, isle of sheppey, mortars, naturist, north kent coast, nudist area, nudist beach, royal navy, second world war, shells, shingle, ss richard montgomery