86 rogue bikers penalised in DelhiMay 14th, 2012 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) Delhi traffic police fined 86 bikers, some under the influence of alcohol, for dangerous driving and performing stunts around India Gate Sunday night, an official said Monday. Twenty bikes were impounded.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg on the force’s Facebook page, which has over a lakh followers, said the drive against the bikers was launched Sunday following complaints.
A total of “86 bikers were booked, 20 for dangerous driving, 58 for not wearing helmets, some for drunken driving, triple riding etc. 20 bikes were impounded,” said Garg.
“There have been reports of stunts and even deaths of bikers. Taking note of it, we put teams yesterday (Sunday) at India Gate with local police and PCR (police control room) between 10 and 2 in night,” he added.
The India Gate hexagon with its wide roads, offers the perfect setting for bikers who perform stunts, race or drive recklessly. Since the area is also a favourite with Delhiites on the weekends, the dangerous driving poses a grave threat to others, the police officer said.
According to Garg, another 500 bikers were prosecuted May 10-12 at Delhi Gate, Ajmeri Gate, Rajghat, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, Tilak Marg and India Gate - all in central Delhi.
“What surprises you is that parents are mostly unaware as to what their wards are up to. This I call abdication of parental responsibility which is dangerous for youngsters,” said Garg.
He said that only “very stiff fines and totally strict enforcement” would ensure compliance with rules as the society was not “self-disciplined”.
- Traffic advisory for Wen's visit - Dec 14, 2010
- Traffic cops rethink Auto Expo at Pragati Maidan - Jan 07, 2012
- Delhi Police gear up for New Year eve traffic - Dec 30, 2010
- 8,000 fined for Holi traffic violations - Mar 21, 2011
- Obama visit: Capital's commuters can expect jams Monday - Nov 06, 2010
- Cycling to work? Growing movement to tackle mobility crisis (Feature) - Mar 25, 2012
- Delhi Police gear up to tackle Holi hooliganism - Mar 19, 2011
- Hike fines for traffic violations, say police - Oct 04, 2011
- Traffic restrictions for R-day parade rehearsal - Jan 22, 2012
- Delhiites ignored traffic advisories and suffered: Police - Jan 24, 2012
- Will shift Auto Expo elsewhere if told, say oganisers (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh farmers march into Delhi, target protests at Parliament - Aug 26, 2010
- At risk: Delhi bikers with need for speed (Feature) - Sep 27, 2011
- Delhi Police warn against drunk driving on New Year's Eve - Dec 29, 2011
- Delhi complying with rules against tinted glasses: Police - May 05, 2012
Tags: bahadur shah zafar, bikers, central delhi, commissioner of police, facebook, garg, grave threat, hexagon, india gate, parental responsibility, police officer, police traffic, rajghat, stiff fines, strict enforcement, stunts, tilak marg, traffic police, wards, youngsters