86 arrested for Orissa killingsMay 2nd, 2011 - 3:15 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 1 (IANS) At least 86 people were arrested Sunday for their alleged involvement in the burning alive of eight people, including a woman, in Orissa’s Ganjam district, police said.
“We have arrested 86 people. Further investigation is on,” local police officer Debendra Dora told IANS.
A mob Friday night burnt to death the owner, partners and employees of a stone crusher unit near Badagada village, about 250 km from Bhubaneswar.
Police, who had earlier put the death toll at seven, revised the figure after doctors who conducted the autopsies on the bodies confirmed that eight people were killed.
Police said local residents were opposed to the small stone crushing unit in their village as it caused pollution, and demanded money from the owners.
However, the dispute escalated Friday when hundreds of villagers attacked the unit and set fire to a room when the eight people, including five workers, were inside.
- Mob burns seven to death in Orissa - Apr 30, 2011
- Two killed in villagers-police clash in Orissa - Jul 15, 2011
- Orissa lawmaker held for criminal activities - Feb 08, 2011
- Security guard kills wife, sons - Jun 01, 2011
- 71 nabbed for lynching 10 men - Aug 04, 2011
- Two teenagers, six others killed in Kashmir violence (Third Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- Mosque area tense, two held for stoning cops (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- Violence erupts after truck runs over a child in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Mosque area tense, many held for stoning cops (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Toll in Kashmir goes up to 14, central cabinet discusses situation (Night Lead) - Aug 02, 2010
- Six robbers lynched in Bangladesh - Jul 27, 2011
- Cop, three others held for senior's killing - Nov 09, 2011
- Graham Staines killing: A timeline - Jan 21, 2011
- Courts sentences minor's rapist, murderer to death - Mar 29, 2010