Nine SIMI activists get police remand for Ahmedabad blastsAugust 17th, 2008 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Aug 17 (IANS) Nine activists of the Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) arrested by the Gujarat police in connection with the July 26 Ahmedabad bombings were Sunday sent to police remand. The nine were presented before the metropolitan magistrate, who remanded in police custody of 14 days, the maximum allowed for the police under the law.
The tenth arrested man, Mufti Abu Bashr, who is said to the mastermind behind the conspiracy, was brought from Uttar Pradesh to Ahmedabad on a three-day transit remand but he was yet to be produced before a court.
The nine people sent to the Gaekwad Haveli police station here are: Sajid Mansuri, Zahid Shaikh, Yunus Mansuri, Shamsuddin Shaikh, Arif Kagzi, Gyasuddin, Imran, Usman Agarbattiwala and Iqbal Shaikh.
The police sought their custody on three grounds: for more arrests to be made, possible chances of a larger conspiracy to have been hatched, and for further interrogations.
As many as 22 bombs went off in a span of little over an hour on the evening of July 26, killing 55 people here.
- 14-day police remand for nine Ahmedabad blasts accused (Lead) - Aug 17, 2008
- Ahmedabad blast accused remanded to further police custody - Sep 01, 2008
- Nine SIMI activists to be produced in court today - Aug 17, 2008
- 22 blasts that ripped Ahmedabad apart (Factsheet) - Aug 16, 2008
- Chargesheet filed in Ahmedabad serial blasts case (Lead) - Nov 13, 2008
- Jundal sent to police custody in Nashik attack plot - Sep 11, 2012
- Many links between Ahmedabad, Pune blasts - Feb 17, 2010
- SIMI activist nabbed in Gujarat - Jul 27, 2010
- Ex-Wipro engineer's role in Ahmedabad blasts under scanner - Aug 16, 2008
- Ahemdabad blasts man Abdul Bashr brought to Delhi - Sep 18, 2008
- Blasts mastermind brought to Ahmedabad from Uttar Pradesh - Aug 17, 2008
- Gujarat riots spurred Jundal's radicalisation: Investigators - Jul 11, 2012
- 5 SIMI activists arrested in Indore - Oct 21, 2009
- Pune blast mastermind trained in Sri Lanka - Sep 09, 2010
- 13/7 Mumbai blasts: Police remand of three extended - Feb 10, 2012