82 percent voters to use photo I-cards for Lok Sabha pollsMarch 5th, 2009 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 5 (IANS) The Election Commission Thursday said 82 percent electors would use photo identity cards to cast their votes in the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls.
“Eighty-two percent electors have photo identity cards issued by the Election Commission across the country. Over 90 percent electors have been issued voters cards with photographs in fourteen states and 90 percent electors have their photographs printed in the electoral rolls in 13 states,” the Election Commission said in a release here.
“This will facilitate easy identification and prevent impersonation,” the poll panel said.
For the first time, photo electoral rolls will be used for polling in the entire country except the three states of Assam, Nagaland and Jammu and Kashmir in forthcoming general election.
“Of the 543 Lok Sabha constituencies, 522 constituencies and the legislative assembly constituencies in Andhra Pradesh, Sikkim and Orissa will go to the polls on the basis of the photo electoral rolls. Nearly 77 percent eligible voters have their photographs in the rolls,” the Election Commission said.
It added that the concept of photo electoral roll was introduced in 2005.
- Eighty two percent voters to use photo I-cards for Lok Sabha polls - Mar 05, 2009
- Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CEC - Feb 01, 2012
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
- 'Photo voters card should be produced for voting' - Mar 28, 2011
- Bengal voter slips to carry photos - Feb 24, 2011
- Poll panel for hiking candidates' expenses - Feb 12, 2011
- Bengal village women vote for first time since independence (Lead, correcting figure in para 1) - May 07, 2011
- Bengal village women vote for first time since independence - May 07, 2011
- Vote without fear, Election Commission tells electorate - Apr 12, 2011
- Country-wide programmes to mark National Voters' Day - Jan 24, 2011
- Poll panel keeping tabs on Himachal government actions - Jul 12, 2012
- Over 75 percent polling expected in Manipur: Poll panel (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Court dismisses plea on irregularities in electoral rolls - Feb 09, 2011
- Election Commission asks CEOs to get 100% EPIC and photo coverage - Apr 16, 2010
- About 50 percent polling in Andhra by-polls (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2012