801 nominations for Punjab polls rejectedJanuary 14th, 2012 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 14 (IANS) As many as 801 nominations filed by candidates for the Jan 30 Punjab assembly elections have been rejected by the Election Commission, leaving 1,253 candidates in the fray.
A spokesperson of the chief electoral officer’s (CEOs) office said here Saturday that of the 2,054 nominations received till Thursday (Jan 12), the last date of filing these, 801 nominations had been rejected after scrutiny.
Most of the nominations were rejected as the forms were not complete or required documents were not submitted before the returning officers.
Monday (Jan 16) is the last date for withdrawal of nominations by the candidates.
“Total 1,253 candidates remain in the fray for the Punjab assembly elections after the scrutiny of nomination papers. Candidates can withdraw their nominations by Jan 16,” the spokesperson said.
Over 900 nominations were filed on Thursday (Jan 12), the last date of filing nominations for elections to the 117-member assembly.
After the scrutiny of forms, the largest number of candidates — 23 — in the fray from an assembly constituency is in Jalalabad in Ferozepur district. Shiromani Akali Dal president and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal is seeking re-election for this seat.
The least number of candidates in the fray is in the border area constituency of Attari in Amritsar district. Only four candidates are in the fray now on this seat.
- 1,080 in fray for Punjab assembly polls - Jan 16, 2012
- Akalis field Olympian Pargat Singh, Sukhbir Badal files nomination - Jan 09, 2012
- Election process starts in Punjab with notification - Jan 05, 2012
- 1,880 file nominations for Punjab polls - Jan 12, 2012
- 3,082 nominations found valid in Tamil Nadu - Mar 29, 2011
- 1.76 crore Punjab residents to vote Monday - Jan 29, 2012
- Bypolls for two Himachal constituencies Nov 30 - Nov 01, 2011
- 364 to contest 54 seats in Bengal first phase poll - Apr 05, 2011
- 2,773 candidates in Tamil Nadu poll fray - Mar 31, 2011
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Ballot papers in five Andhra by-polls, EVMs in other seven - Jul 12, 2010
- Bright and sunny as polling picks up in Punjab (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Kannauj Lok Sabha bypoll is slated for June 24 - May 23, 2012
- Polling under way in Punjab (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- 'Clouds' galore over Punjab's electoral skies - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: attari, border area, ceos, chief electoral officer, constituency, deputy chief minister, election commission, ferozepur, jalalabad, last date, member assembly, nomination papers, polls, punjab assembly elections, returning officers, scrutiny, shiromani akali dal, spokesperson, sukhbir singh badal