800,000 devotees witness return of deities at PuriJuly 12th, 2008 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 12 (IANS) At least 800,000 devotees witnessed the return of Lord Jagannath and two other deities at Orissa’s Puri city Saturday, an official said. “The weather was cloudy and conducive and all the rituals were performed before time,” the official told IANS. “The total number of devotees who witnessed the festival would be at least 800,000,” he said.
Bahuda yatra or the return festival is held nine days after the annual ratha yatra or chariot festival.
Ratha yatra is held on the second day of the waxing moon during the month of Ashadha (June-July) of the Indian calendar.
The festival marks the annual journey of three deities Lord Jagannath, brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra from 12th century Jagannath temple in three splendidly decorated chariots.
Thousands of devotees pull the chariot and take the deities to the Gundicha temple, which is about 5 km from the main temple.
The deities return to the main temple the same way nine days later. Devotees pull the chariots hoping that the exercise will help them get rid of their sins.
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Puri Ratha Yatra preparations gain momentum in Odisha - Jun 11, 2012
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath return festival - Jul 21, 2010
- Security beefed up ahead of Puri chariot festival - Jun 20, 2012
- Security in place for Puri's Jagannath return festival - Jul 20, 2010
- Woman dies in stampede during Jagannath Rath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Special trains for Rath Yatra in Orissa - Jul 10, 2010
- Puri sees bath festival - Jun 26, 2010