800 monks to pray in Delhi for Buddha PurnimaMay 26th, 2010 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) Nearly 800 Buddhist monks and lamas from Tibet, Nepal and India will gather here Thursday to offer special prayers on the occasion of Buddha Purnima — which, they say, for the first time will fall on the same day as per the Hindu and Tibetan calendars.
Organised by the South Asia Buddhist Association, the one-and-a-half-hour-long prayer ceremony will be held in south Delhi and will have the 17th spiritual head of the Karma Kagyu tradition of Tibetan Buddhism attending it.
“It is for the first time that Buddha Purnima has fallen on the same day as per the Hindu and Tibetan calendars, which makes the day very auspicious. This is why monks and lamas from all over the country and Nepal and Tibet are going to be here to offer prayers and perform ceremonial practices,” a member of the South Asian Buddhist Association said.
“The 17th Karmapa, Trinley Thaye Dorje, of the Karma Kagyu tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, will also attend the ceremony,” the member added.
The prayer ceremony, the member said, will be unique since the playing of a number of musical instruments on the occasion will make the atmosphere captivating.
Buddha Purnima, which falls on a full moon night in the month of Vaisakha, either in April or May, commemorates the birth anniversary of Lord Buddha.
- Buddha Purnima celebrated with great fervour in Delhi - May 27, 2010
- Karmapa participates in Buddha Purnima celebrations in Delhi (Lead) - May 27, 2010
- Dalai Lama, Karmapa lead Buddha Purnima celebrations in India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Tibetan Buddhism can solve global conflicts: Karmapa - Jan 03, 2011
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- India owns copyright to Buddhism: Karmapa Lama - Dec 23, 2011
- Preserve Tibetan culture, Karmapa tells Tibetans - Jan 06, 2012
- Tibetan Buddhist sect's 900th anniversary celebrations end - Dec 30, 2010
- India owns copyright to Buddhism: Karmapa Lama (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Dec 23, 2011
- Cash row renews clash of rival Karmapas - Feb 04, 2011
- India allows Karmapa to visit US - Jul 06, 2011
- 5,000 initiated into Tibetan Buddhism at Bodh Gaya - Dec 29, 2010
- Karmapa concerned over self-immolation by monks - Nov 09, 2011
- End Tibetan monastery stand-off, urges Karmapa - May 09, 2011
- Karmapa reviving use of Sanskrit in spiritual order - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,