8-year-old girl swims 15 hours non-stop to cover 38 kmSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 12:18 am ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, Sep 2 (IANS) An eight-year girl, who swam 15 hours without stopping to cover a distance of 38 km in the swimming pool of a school here Tuesday, said she aims to represent India at the London Olympics.Saira Sirohi, a Class 5 student of Dehradun Public School in Ghaziabad, entered the school pool at 5 a.m. Tuesday and swam continuously for the next 15 hours.
“If United States can produce a champion like Michael Phelps, why can’t India? I want to be part of the next Olympics at London. And before that, I want to represent my country at 2010 Commonwealth Games,” said Saira.
“I just wanted to swim and do something for my country,” Saira told this correspondent.
Saira swam 380 laps covering 380,00 metres of the 25 X 25 metres swimming pool and completed the distance in fifteen hours.
She nibbled chocolates, biscuits and nuts from the hands of her teachers, principal, mother, sisters and her closest friends. She also sipped energy drinks at intervals.
School principal Richa Sood said: “It’s a great moment for us. I will personally approach the Sports Authority of India to provide proper coaching to my student in order to prepare her for the under-14 category at Commonwealth and London Olympics.”
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- National Games: Manipur boy helps Jharkhand win aquatics gold - Feb 16, 2011
- Richa betters her Games record, wins ninth gold (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Olympics: Dana Vollmer sets world record in women's 100m butterfly - Jul 30, 2012
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- Le Clos sends out warning to Phelps - Aug 02, 2012
- Lochte impressed by Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Stephanie Rice "bursts into tears" while announcing withdrawal from 2010 CWG - Aug 20, 2010