8 killed as bus falls into gorge in JammuAugust 21st, 2012 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 21 (IANS) At least eight persons were killed and 35 others injured in a bus crash in the mountainous Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir Tuesday afternoon.
Police sources in Rajouri said a passenger bus was on its way from Rajouri town, 180 km north of Jammu, to Rehana, when it fell into a 200-feet-deep gorge near Palma Puli Morh.
“Eight people died on the spot while 35 others were injured,” the sources said.
The injured have been shifted to Rajouri Government Hospital where the condition of at least three passengers is described as critical.
The police said the accident could have occurred because the heavy rains of the past two days had left the ground a muddy slush, in which vehicles could skid.
The mountainous areas of Jammu and Kashmir are notorious for road accidents, attributed mostly to overloading of passenger buses, poor maintenance of vehicles, shabby road conditions and the dearth of mountain driving skills.
- 9 killed in two road accidents in Jammu region - Mar 24, 2012
- 35 injured in bus accident in Rajouri - Jul 25, 2012
- 6 killed, 34 injured in Kashmir road mishap (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- IAF rescues 11 injured in Kashmir accident - Dec 01, 2010
- Eight pilgrims killed in Himachal (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- 6 killed, 40 injured in Kashmir road accident - Dec 01, 2010
- Six killed as van falls into gorge - Jul 26, 2011
- 10 killed, 20 injured in Jammu and Kashmir accident - Mar 15, 2011
- Eight die in Kashmir road accidents - Oct 23, 2011
- 10 pilgrims killed in Jammu accident - Jul 15, 2012
- Seven dead in Jammu and Kashmir bus accident - Nov 10, 2009
- 16 pilgrims killed in Jammu - Jul 27, 2012
- Six killed, 45 injured in Udhampur road accident - Mar 15, 2011
- Two killed in Kashmir bus accident - Jul 11, 2012
- Bus accident kills 22 in northern India - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: bus crash, dearth, deep gorge, government hospital, heavy rains, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mountainous areas, palma, passenger bus, passenger buses, police sources, poor maintenance, puli, road accidents, road conditions, slush, tuesday afternoon