78 child marriages reported this year: Renuka ChowdhuryDecember 15th, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) Child marriages are still performed in India and 78 such cases have been reported in 2008, three of which were recorded in Rajasthan alone, the Rajya Sabha was informed Monday.Agreeing that scores of child marriages are taking place unhindered in India, Women and Child Development Minsiter Renuka Chowdhury said the problem still exists in some parts of the country.
Quoting the National Crime Records Bureau, she said that while in 2006 about 99 cases were reported, in 2007 96 cases were registered under the Child Marriage Restraint Act 1929.
In 2006, one case was recorded in Rajasthan, and three cases each were registered in 2007 and 2008 respectively in the desert state, where the norm is quite prevalent.
Chowdhury said to prohibit child marriages and to make the provisions of the Act more effective and punishment more stringent for offenders, a new legislation - Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 - has been introduced.
She said the Act provides for the appointment of child marriage prohibition officers in each state. Also, awareness generation and advocacy measures are continuously being undertaken by them to prohibit child marriages in the country.
- Child pornography rising in India - Aug 30, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh tops in crimes against women: minister - Dec 12, 2008
- 'Enforcement of laws on women hit by lack of funds' - Jul 12, 2012
- Castration as punishment for rape? The debate intensifies - May 06, 2011
- 50 percent women married as minors: Experts - Mar 28, 2011
- Motherhood-related deaths down in India by 17 percent - Jul 08, 2011
- Chhattisgarh registers more than half of domestic violence cases - Oct 24, 2008
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- 30 child marriages prevented in Rajasthan - Apr 16, 2012
- Female foeticide blot on the India story - Jan 24, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh report most dowry deaths - Aug 09, 2010
- Wildlife smuggler Sansar Chand gets bail - May 31, 2012
- Govt considering changes in dowry act - May 03, 2012
- Marriage registration to be made compulsory - Apr 12, 2012
- FIR against BJP general secretary for fraud - Sep 04, 2012