71 dead in Kyrgyz air crashAugust 25th, 2008 - 2:45 am ICT by IANS
Bishkek/Moscow, Aug 25 (DPA) At least 71 people are believed dead in the crash of an Itek Air Boeing 737 passenger liner shortly after take off from Kyrgyzstan’s capital Bishkek Sunday, the country’s health ministry confirmed.Employees of Bishkek airport however spoke of more than 80 dead. According to the Civil Defence Ministry the downed airliner, which had been en route from Bishkek to Tehran, was completely consumed by fire.
Contradictory statements were provided as to the number of passengers aboard the aircraft, with Bishkek airport reporting that 120 passengers had checked in plus an unspecified number of flight crew.
In contrast, Civil Defence Minister Kamchibek Tashiyev was quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying that the plane was carrying 90 people, of whom 25 survived.
Most of the passengers were Iranian citizens, the government in Bishkek reported. Also on board were the Kyrgyz youth basketball team.
Unconfirmed reports said the pilots attempted to make an emergency landing immediately after takeoff.
Rescue workers and the police have cordoned off the crash site, which in the evening was visited by Kyrgyz Prime Minister Igor Chudinov.
Itek Air is one of more than a dozen Kyrgyz airlines that are banned from flying into the European Union due to safety concerns.
- Death toll in Kyrgyz airline crash lowered to 65 (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Kyrgyz activists demand closure of US airbase - Mar 16, 2012
- Kyrgyzstan rules out terrorism in fatal air crash (Second lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Boeing jet with 123 on board crashes in Kyrgyzstan (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Kyrgyz PM Atambayev set to win presidential poll - Oct 31, 2011
- Pentagon chief in Kyrgyzstan for talks - Mar 13, 2012
- World's major air accidents in 2008 - Feb 13, 2009
- US to give $30 mn to upgrade Kyrgyz air control system - Aug 07, 2011
- Kyrgyzstan arrests agitators as riot toll touches 120 (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan wants US out of Manas airbase in 2014 - Feb 21, 2012
- Russia, neighbours to hold air defence drills - Sep 14, 2012
- Britain to help Kyrgyzstan in army reform: official - Aug 27, 2011
- Russia owes rent on military bases: Kyrgyz president - Dec 29, 2011
- Otunbayeva sworn in as Kyrgyz president - Jul 03, 2010
- 118 killed in Pakistan plane crash (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012